Work done by a vector field

In summary, the force field F moves an object from P to Q. The work done is found by taking the dot product of the force field F with the object's velocity and integrating. The potential energy of the object is found by solving the equation for the scalar function f(x,y,z).
Duncan1382

Homework Statement

Find the work done by the force field F in moving an object from P to Q.

[tex]F(x,y,z)=10y^(3/2)i+15x\sqrt{y}j[/tex]

P(1,1), Q(2,9)

Homework Equations

W = [tex]\int[/tex]F dot dr

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue how to do it

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Duncan1382! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a square-root: √ :wink:)

Draw the line from P to Q. How long is it?

Define a parameter along it, and integrate force dot distance wrt that parameter. :wink:

(time-saving tip: if part of the force is conservative, you can ignore that part)

Duncan1382 said:

Homework Statement

Find the work done by the force field F in moving an object from P to Q.

[tex]F(x,y,z)=10y^(3/2)i+15x\sqrt{y}j[/tex]
I assume you mean
[tex]F(x,y,z)= 10y^{3/2}i+ 15x\sqrt{y}j[/tex]
Use { } to surround things you want in an exponent,

P(1,1), Q(2,9)

Homework Equations

W = [tex]\int[/tex]F dot dr

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue how to do it
You give [tex]W= \int F\cdot dr[/tex]
Do you not know what that means? [itex]dr= idx+ jdy+ kdz[/tex] take the dot product of that and [itex]10y^{3/2}i+ 15x\sqrt{y}j[/itex] and integrate. Of course, you should state what path is to be used. In general the integral of a function of several variables from one point to another depends upon the path between the two points as well as the points themselves, but, fortunately the given force vector function is "conservative" so it does not matter which path you choose. Tiny-tim suggests the simplest- the straight line between the two points.

But because the force function is conservative, it has a "potential" function. That is, there is a scalar function, f(x,y,z) such that
[tex]\nabla f= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}i+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}j+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}= 10y^{3/2}i+ 15x\sqrt{y}j[/tex]

That is, you have
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= 10y^{3/2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= 16xy^{1/2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}= 0[/tex]

You should be able to solve those for f (up to a constant), then evaluate between the two points to see how much the potential energy has change- which, of course, is the work done on the particle.

1. What is work done by a vector field?

Work done by a vector field is a measure of the energy transferred to a system by the vector field. It is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of physical work done on an object by the force of the vector field.

2. How is work done by a vector field calculated?

The work done by a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the displacement vector of the object. This can be represented by the equation W = F * d, where W is the work done, F is the vector field, and d is the displacement vector.

3. What are some real-life examples of work done by a vector field?

Some real-life examples of work done by a vector field include the force exerted by wind on a sailboat, the force of gravity on an object falling from a height, and the force of a magnetic field on a charged particle.

4. What are the units of work done by a vector field?

The units of work done by a vector field are joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system. These units represent the amount of energy transferred to a system by the vector field.

5. How is the direction of work done by a vector field determined?

The direction of work done by a vector field is determined by the direction of the displacement vector of the object. If the displacement vector is in the same direction as the vector field, the work done will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative.