• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Work done by a vector force

• Thread starter mattyc33
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Determine the work done by the Force F = yi(hat) - xj(hat) on an object that travels from point A (a,0) to point B (-a,0)

a) along an elliptical path described by x=acosθ, y=bsinθ
b) along a straight line from A to B
c) From these results, can we determine whether or not the force is conservative?

Homework Equations

W=∫F ° dl
dl=dxi(hat) + dyj(hat)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) W=∫(a to -a) bsinθi(hat)dl - ∫(0 to 0) acosθj(hat)dl
so that just gives me ∫(a to -a) bsinθi(hat)dl which equals 0. This doesn't seem right to me. What's mainly confusing me is that the y is corresponding to the i(hat) vectors and vice versa for the x. I don't really know what to do with the b.

b) dl = dxj(hat)
W = ∫(a to -a) xdy = 0

c) I know that you can tell if a force is conservative if the work depends on the path. Therefore this is probably not conservative.

Answers and Replies

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine the work done by the Force F = yi(hat) - xj(hat) on an object that travels from point A (a,0) to point B (-a,0)

a) along an elliptical path described by x=acosθ, y=bsinθ
b) along a straight line from A to B
c) From these results, can we determine whether or not the force is conservative?

Homework Equations

W=∫F ° dl
dl=dxi(hat) + dyj(hat)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) W=∫(a to -a) bsinθi(hat)dl - ∫(0 to 0) acosθj(hat)dl
so that just gives me ∫(a to -a) bsinθi(hat)dl which equals 0. This doesn't seem right to me. What's mainly confusing me is that the y is corresponding to the i(hat) vectors and vice versa for the x. I don't really know what to do with the b.
Use your two relevant equations, what is [itex]\mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{l}[/itex] if [itex]\mathbf{F} = y\mathbf{i} - x\mathbf{j}[/itex] and [itex]d\mathbf{l} = dx\mathbf{i}+ dy\mathbf{j}[/itex]?

So then I would get ∫ydx - xdy.

How would I integrate y with dx and x with dy?
I'm sort of behind on this stuff and this may seem simple and I'm sorry for that.

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So then I would get ∫ydx - xdy.

How would I integrate y with dx and x with dy?
I'm sort of behind on this stuff and this may seem simple and I'm sorry for that.
You have equations for both [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in terms of a single parameter, [itex]\theta[/itex], use them and remember that [itex]dx =\frac{dx}{d\theta}d\theta[/itex]

So I would get an equation that looks like ∫bsinθ(dx/dθ)dx - ∫acosθ(dx/dθ)dθ

which yields:

-bcosθ - bsinθ

Would that be my answer? Or are there further steps pertaining to points A and B?

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So I would get an equation that looks like ∫bsinθ(dx/dθ)dx - ∫acosθ(dx/dθ)dθ
Don't you mean [itex]\int_{\theta(x=a, y=0)}^{\theta(x=-a,y=0)}\left(b\sin\theta \frac{dx}{d\theta} - a\cos\theta \frac{dy}{d\theta} \right)d\theta[/itex]?

which yields:

-bcosθ - bsinθ
I get something different, can you post your steps?

Would that be my answer? Or are there further steps pertaining to points A and B?
Work done is the path integral from A to B, so you should have a definite integral where the limits are the value of [itex]\theta[/itex] at each endpoint.

Sorry I seemed to have misplaced a dx with what should have been dθ.

Continuing on:

I split the integrals:
∫bsinθ(dx/dθ)dθ - ∫acosθ(dx/dθ)dθ with the limits a to -a.

If I integrate bsinθ I get -bcosθ and if I integrate acosθ I get a sinθ (another mistake in my previous answer)

Therefore the expression would be:

-bcosθ - asinθ from the limits a to -a

resulting in:

(-bcos(-a) - asin(-a)) - (-bcos(a) - asin(a))

I think I may be integrating the original equation incorectly with the due to confusion by the dθ's and dx's.

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Sorry I seemed to have misplaced a dx with what should have been dθ.

Continuing on:

I split the integrals:
∫bsinθ(dx/dθ)dθ - ∫acosθ(dx/dθ)dθ with the limits a to -a.

If I integrate bsinθ I get -bcosθ and if I integrate acosθ I get a sinθ (another mistake in my previous answer)
What happened to [itex]\frac{dx}{d\theta}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dy}{d\theta}[/itex]? Why would the limits be a to -a? What is the value of [itex]\theta[/itex] at the point A? What about at point P?

I made another mistake in writing the final equation down so the final equation from before would be:

∫bsinθ(dx/dθ)dθ - ∫acosθ(dy/dθ)dθ with limits a to -a

This doesn't really change much though.

Well technically it's θ to θ but since there is no y component wouldn't the limits just be the x components?

I'm extremely confused at this point on how I would find the θ in point A or B because I have no idea what "a" means.

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I made another mistake in writing the final equation down so the final equation from before would be:

∫bsinθ(dx/dθ)dθ - ∫acosθ(dy/dθ)dθ with limits a to -a

This doesn't really change much though.

Well technically it's θ to θ but since there is no y component wouldn't the limits just be the x components?

I'm extremely confused at this point on how I would find the θ in point A or B because I have no idea what "a" means.
"a" and "b" are just numbers. Plot out your parametric equations as you range theta from 0 to 2pi... what value of theta gives you x=a and y=0? What value of theta gives you x=-a and y=0?

As for dx/dθ and dy/dθ, you will need to calculate them...

Well for sinθ y=0 at 0, ∏ and 2∏ Therefore would "a" be pi/2 and theta be 0, 180 or 360?

for cosθ y=0 at ∏/2 and 3∏/2 so b would be pi/2 or 3pi/2 and theta be 90 or 270...

I am just really confused at this point as I feel like I need to review basic geometry however this question is one of the only ones I don't understand in my textbook chapter.

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Well for sinθ y=0 at 0, ∏ and 2∏ Therefore would "a" be pi/2 and theta be 0, 180 or 360?
Why ask me? You have [itex]y(\theta)=b\sin\theta[/itex], so what is [itex]y\left( \frac{\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]?

for cosθ y=0 at ∏/2 and 3∏/2 so b would be pi/2 or 3pi/2 and theta be 90 or 270...
Huh?:confused:

You have [itex]x(\theta)=a\cos\theta[/itex], what are [itex]x\left( 0 \right)[/itex], [itex]x\left( \frac{\pi}{2} \right)[/itex], [itex]x\left( \pi \right)[/itex], etc?

I am just really confused at this point as I feel like I need to review basic geometry however this question is one of the only ones I don't understand in my textbook chapter.
I think you should review linear algebra, especially curves and parameterization.

Then y=b at theta = pi/2.
y=0 at theta = 0 as well

x=a at theta = 0
x=-a at theta = pi

Therefore the values that im looking for are theta = 0 and pi.

I don't understand what the limits for this integral would be though. As well as what im doing with these values of theta.

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Then y=b at theta = pi/2.
y=0 at theta = 0 as well

x=a at theta = 0
x=-a at theta = pi

Therefore the values that im looking for are theta = 0 and pi.

I don't understand what the limits for this integral would be though. As well as what im doing with these values of theta
You are integrating along an eliptical path from point A to point B. When you parametrize that path in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex], you find that [itex]\theta=0[/itex] corresponds to point A and [itex]\theta=\pi[/itex] corresponds to point B, so those values of [itex]\theta[/itex] are your lower and upper limits.

So if I complete the integral:

∫(bsinθdx/dθ - acosθdy/dθ)dθ From 0 to pi

= -bcosθ - asinθ from 0 to pi

= b-1

Would b-1 be my final answer for work? That doesnt seem right to me, did I misplace a number that I can substitute in for b?

sorry 2b*

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So if I complete the integral:

∫(bsinθdx/dθ - acosθdy/dθ)dθ From 0 to pi

= -bcosθ - asinθ from 0 to pi

= b-1

Would b-1 be my final answer for work? That doesnt seem right to me, did I misplace a number that I can substitute in for b?
No, [itex]\int_0^{\pi} b\sin\theta \frac{dx}{d\theta} d\theta \neq -b\cos\theta[/itex], what happened to [itex]\frac{dx}{d\theta}[/itex]?

I actually got help from a TA but thank you so much for your help until now.