1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by a vector force

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the work done by the Force F = yi(hat) - xj(hat) on an object that travels from point A (a,0) to point B (-a,0)

a) along an elliptical path described by x=acosθ, y=bsinθ
    b) along a straight line from A to B
    c) From these results, can we determine whether or not the force is conservative?

2. Relevant equations

W=∫F ° dl
    dl=dxi(hat) + dyj(hat)

3. The attempt at a solution

a) W=∫(a to -a) bsinθi(hat)dl - ∫(0 to 0) acosθj(hat)dl
    so that just gives me ∫(a to -a) bsinθi(hat)dl which equals 0. This doesn't seem right to me. What's mainly confusing me is that the y is corresponding to the i(hat) vectors and vice versa for the x. I don't really know what to do with the b.

b) dl = dxj(hat)
    W = ∫(a to -a) xdy = 0

c) I know that you can tell if a force is conservative if the work depends on the path. Therefore this is probably not conservative.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use your two relevant equations, what is [itex]\mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{l}[/itex] if [itex]\mathbf{F} = y\mathbf{i} - x\mathbf{j}[/itex] and [itex]d\mathbf{l} = dx\mathbf{i}+ dy\mathbf{j}[/itex]?

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    So then I would get ∫ydx - xdy.

How would I integrate y with dx and x with dy?
    I'm sort of behind on this stuff and this may seem simple and I'm sorry for that.

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have equations for both [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in terms of a single parameter, [itex]\theta[/itex], use them and remember that [itex]dx =\frac{dx}{d\theta}d\theta[/itex]

6. Sep 27, 2012 #5
    So I would get an equation that looks like ∫bsinθ(dx/dθ)dx - ∫acosθ(dx/dθ)dθ

which yields:

-bcosθ - bsinθ

Would that be my answer? Or are there further steps pertaining to points A and B?

7. Sep 27, 2012 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't you mean [itex]\int_{\theta(x=a, y=0)}^{\theta(x=-a,y=0)}\left(b\sin\theta \frac{dx}{d\theta} - a\cos\theta \frac{dy}{d\theta} \right)d\theta[/itex]?

I get something different, can you post your steps?

Work done is the path integral from A to B, so you should have a definite integral where the limits are the value of [itex]\theta[/itex] at each endpoint.

8. Sep 27, 2012 #7
    Sorry I seemed to have misplaced a dx with what should have been dθ.

Continuing on:

I split the integrals:
    ∫bsinθ(dx/dθ)dθ - ∫acosθ(dx/dθ)dθ with the limits a to -a.

If I integrate bsinθ I get -bcosθ and if I integrate acosθ I get a sinθ (another mistake in my previous answer)

Therefore the expression would be:

-bcosθ - asinθ from the limits a to -a

resulting in:

(-bcos(-a) - asin(-a)) - (-bcos(a) - asin(a))

I think I may be integrating the original equation incorectly with the due to confusion by the dθ's and dx's.

9. Sep 27, 2012 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What happened to [itex]\frac{dx}{d\theta}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dy}{d\theta}[/itex]? Why would the limits be a to -a? What is the value of [itex]\theta[/itex] at the point A? What about at point P?

10. Sep 27, 2012 #9
    I made another mistake in writing the final equation down so the final equation from before would be:

∫bsinθ(dx/dθ)dθ - ∫acosθ(dy/dθ)dθ with limits a to -a

This doesn't really change much though.

Well technically it's θ to θ but since there is no y component wouldn't the limits just be the x components?

I'm extremely confused at this point on how I would find the θ in point A or B because I have no idea what "a" means.

11. Sep 27, 2012 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"a" and "b" are just numbers. Plot out your parametric equations as you range theta from 0 to 2pi... what value of theta gives you x=a and y=0? What value of theta gives you x=-a and y=0?

As for dx/dθ and dy/dθ, you will need to calculate them...

12. Sep 27, 2012 #11
    Well for sinθ y=0 at 0, ∏ and 2∏ Therefore would "a" be pi/2 and theta be 0, 180 or 360?

for cosθ y=0 at ∏/2 and 3∏/2 so b would be pi/2 or 3pi/2 and theta be 90 or 270...

I am just really confused at this point as I feel like I need to review basic geometry however this question is one of the only ones I don't understand in my textbook chapter.

13. Sep 27, 2012 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why ask me? You have [itex]y(\theta)=b\sin\theta[/itex], so what is [itex]y\left( \frac{\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]?

Huh?:confused:

You have [itex]x(\theta)=a\cos\theta[/itex], what are [itex]x\left( 0 \right)[/itex], [itex]x\left( \frac{\pi}{2} \right)[/itex], [itex]x\left( \pi \right)[/itex], etc?

I think you should review linear algebra, especially curves and parameterization.

14. Sep 27, 2012 #13
    Then y=b at theta = pi/2.
    y=0 at theta = 0 as well

x=a at theta = 0
    x=-a at theta = pi

Therefore the values that im looking for are theta = 0 and pi.

I don't understand what the limits for this integral would be though. As well as what im doing with these values of theta.

15. Sep 27, 2012 #14

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are integrating along an eliptical path from point A to point B. When you parametrize that path in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex], you find that [itex]\theta=0[/itex] corresponds to point A and [itex]\theta=\pi[/itex] corresponds to point B, so those values of [itex]\theta[/itex] are your lower and upper limits.

16. Sep 28, 2012 #15
    So if I complete the integral:

∫(bsinθdx/dθ - acosθdy/dθ)dθ From 0 to pi

= -bcosθ - asinθ from 0 to pi

= b-1

Would b-1 be my final answer for work? That doesnt seem right to me, did I misplace a number that I can substitute in for b?

17. Sep 28, 2012 #16
    sorry 2b*

18. Sep 28, 2012 #17

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, [itex]\int_0^{\pi} b\sin\theta \frac{dx}{d\theta} d\theta \neq -b\cos\theta[/itex], what happened to [itex]\frac{dx}{d\theta}[/itex]?

19. Sep 28, 2012 #18
    I actually got help from a TA but thank you so much for your help until now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook