Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by an ideal gas

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    Could someone please prove why the work done by a gas is the area under a [itex] PV [/itex] diagram?

That is, I know that [itex] dW=P \text{ }dV[/itex], but why is that true physically? I realize that [itex] W=f \cdot d \text{ and } F=P \cdot A [/itex] .Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2
    You have more or less done it for yourself!!
    W = P x V......P = F/A and V = A x d
    W = F/A x A/d ....= F x d

4. May 22, 2012 #3
    Well yes, I know that the equation is true, but I was wondering why it's physically true. For example, the area under a velocity-time graph is displacement. Why is the area under the graph the work done?

5. May 22, 2012 #4
    It is because the graph is of P against V so the area under this graph must be the PxV quantity.....which is Fxd = work done.

6. May 22, 2012 #5
    Oh...wow I'm silly. Thanks!

7. May 22, 2012 #6
    you are in good company!!

8. May 22, 2012 #7

Ken G

Gold Member

Another way to say all this is that, you understand the area under the v vs. t curve is displacement x because you think of v as dx/dt. Thus, to understand why the area under a P vs. V curve is work done, you simply need to think of pressure as dW/dV, i.e., pressure is the amount of work done per unit volume change. In other words, instead of thinking of work as something that comes from pressure, think of pressure as a concept that stems directly from work. That is very much what pressure is-- the concept of the amount of work done per volume change. Indeed, there are situations where the easiest way to calculate pressure P is to first calculate the work W as a function of V and take dW/dV.

9. May 23, 2012 #8
    just remember that this is true under the assumption of quasistatic conditions, which is almost static but notquite.
    think about a situation where the internal pressure is much higher than the external presssure. how do you calculate work then?

thafeera

10. May 23, 2012 #9
    Another little tip: look at the units of the quantities you are multiplying.
    P x V units are Pa x m^3 = (N/m^2) x m^3 = Nm = energy units
    v x t units are ms^-1 x s = m = distance units
    F x e units N x m = energy units
    V x Q units are volts x charge = V x C = (J/C) x C = J = energy units

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook