How do I solve for work done using applied force and distance on an incline?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving work done by an applied force using fdcos∅. The original attempt at a solution involved finding the distance the box travels up the incline, but it was realized that the angle of the incline was needed instead. However, the angle cannot be calculated without additional information. Two potential methods for solving the problem are discussed, one involving the change in kinetic energy and the other using trigonometry to find the angle of the incline. Ultimately, it is determined that the angle of the incline is 39.7°.
trogdor5

Homework Statement

lyY5C.jpg

Homework Equations

W = fdcos∅

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the problem using potential energy (i.e. mgh) and the answer is 4.41 J.

My question is, how do I solve it using the work done by the applied force using fdcos∅?

The work done parallel to the incline is 82sin(53) = 65.49
The distance the the box moves up the incline when h = .15 is (I think), .15cos(53) = .09027.

However, when multiplying them together (.09027*65.49) I get 5.9 J.

What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty sure it's in finding the distance that the box travels up the incline.
-edit- I see what I'm doing wrong and it is in the distance the box travels up. I need the angle of the incline, not the force to ground. Is there any way to find that angle?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
trogdor5 said:

Homework Statement

lyY5C.jpg

Homework Equations

W = fdcos∅

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the problem using potential energy (i.e. mgh) and the answer is 4.41 J.

My question is, how do I solve it using the work done by the applied force using fdcos∅?

The work done parallel to the incline is 82sin(53) = 65.49
The distance the the box moves up the incline when h = .15 is (I think), .15cos(53) = .09027.

However, when multiplying them together (.09027*65.49) I get 5.9 J.

What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty sure it's in finding the distance that the box travels up the incline.
-edit- I see what I'm doing wrong and it is in the distance the box travels up. I need the angle of the incline, not the force to ground. Is there any way to find that angle?
no, the angle of the incline is not given and cannot be calculated . Does it matter?

No, it's fine. I was just wondering I guess. Thank you :)

Well wait a second, the comp of the force parallel to the incline must be equal to the comp of the weight parallel to the incline. That is, with some trig, mgsinψ = Fsin(53-ψ). Or, mg/F = sin(53-ψ)/sinψ. Here, ψ is the angle of the incline. So cranking out the numbers, 3(9.8)/82 = 0.36 = sin(53-ψ)/sinψ. i would think you can solve this for ψ , but how? I don't know!

I think there's 2 ways of doing this:

(1) The change in KE is 0, so the total work done on the box is zero.
So the work done by F is the negative of the work done by gravity.
W_gravity = -mgh ( h is the vertical height gained by the box ).
So
W_force = mgh = 4.41J

(2) Put x-axis along the ramp pointing up.
Then
F_net_x = Fcosα - wsinθ = 0
( α is angle F makes with the x-axis, and θ is the angle the incline makes with the horizontal surface ).
So, Fcosα = wsinθ
So, W_force = Fdcosα, (where d is the distance the box travels along the incline ).
→ W_force = Fdwsinθ/F = dwsinθ
Using some trig, d = h/sinθ
→W_force = hwsinθ/sinθ = homework = mgh = 4.41J

ap123 said:
I think there's 2 ways of doing this:

(1) The change in KE is 0, so the total work done on the box is zero.
So the work done by F is the negative of the work done by gravity.
W_gravity = -mgh ( h is the vertical height gained by the box ).
So
W_force = mgh = 4.41J

(2) Put x-axis along the ramp pointing up.
Then
F_net_x = Fcosα - wsinθ = 0
( α is angle F makes with the x-axis, and θ is the angle the incline makes with the horizontal surface ).
So, Fcosα = wsinθ
So, W_force = Fdcosα, (where d is the distance the box travels along the incline ).
→ W_force = Fdwsinθ/F = dwsinθ
Using some trig, d = h/sinθ
→W_force = hwsinθ/sinθ = homework = mgh = 4.41J
Oh yes, sorry, i was focusing on determining the angle of the incline instead. The angle that the incline makes with the horizontal is of course____?____ degrees. ?

As you've already pointed out :
mgsinψ = Fsin(53-ψ)
Expand out the sin(53-ψ), divide through by sinψ, leaving the only unknown as tanψ, leading to ψ = 39.7°

1. What is work done by a constant force?

Work done by a constant force is the product of the magnitude of the force and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object by a force.

2. How is the work done by a constant force calculated?

The work done by a constant force is calculated using the equation W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is work, F is the force, d is the displacement, and theta is the angle between the force and the displacement vectors.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done by a constant force?

The unit of measurement for work done by a constant force is joules (J). It is a derived unit from the base units of force (newtons) and displacement (meters).

4. Can the work done by a constant force be negative?

Yes, the work done by a constant force can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. This indicates that the force is doing work against the motion of the object.

5. How does the angle between the force and displacement affect the work done by a constant force?

The angle between the force and displacement affects the work done by a constant force through the cos(theta) term in the work equation. When the force and displacement are in the same direction (theta = 0), the work done is at its maximum. As the angle increases, the work done decreases, and when the force and displacement are perpendicular (theta = 90), the work done is zero.