Work done by E field to move electron from negative plate to postive.

In summary, we have two large parallel conducting plates with uniform surface charge densities that are equal in magnitude but opposite in sign. The potential difference between the plates is 500 V. An electron is released from rest next to the negatively charged surface and moves towards the positive plate. The work done by the electric field on the electron is calculated to be -8E-17 J. The confusion about positive work arises from the fact that the electric field is going in the opposite direction of the motion of the electron, leading to a positive value for work.
whynot314
The facing surfaces of two large parallel conducting plates separated
by 10.0 cm have uniform surface charge densities that are equal in magnitude but
opposite in sign. The difference in potential between the plates is 500 V. An electron is released from rest next to the negatively charged surface. Find the work done by the electric field on the electron as the electron moves from the release point to the positive plate.

Ok so I am getting -8E-17 J

by ΔU=qΔV, W=qΔV

and I know ΔV is positive because we are going form low potential to high potential therefore Δv=500V

so i am getting W=(-1.6E-19)(500)=-8E-17 however I am concerned because I am seeing a positive work somewhere else. and that just does not make sense to me. or can someone explain to me why this would be positive work?

Physics news on Phys.org

The electron is released next to the negative plate. The electron will be attracted to this plate, so to get it to the other plate you must give it energy, and therefore work is positive.

I thought the electron would be repelled by the negative plate since they have the same charge??

Ok I believe I have everything sorted out now, I would be doing negative work If an EXTERNAL FORCE was applied to move the electron to the positive plate, the problem asks for the work done the the ELECTRIC FIELD, and since the electric field is going to the opposite direction the of the motion of the electron w=qvcos(180)= -+-=+work.

I would like to clarify that the work done by the electric field in this scenario is indeed positive. This may seem counterintuitive because the electron is moving from a negatively charged plate to a positively charged plate, but it is important to remember that work is defined as the force applied over a distance. In this case, the electric field is providing a force on the electron, pushing it towards the positively charged plate.

When the electron is released from rest, it has no kinetic energy, so all of the work done by the electric field goes towards increasing the electron's potential energy. This potential energy is directly related to the voltage difference between the plates, as shown in the equation W=qΔV. Since the electron is moving towards a higher potential, the work done by the electric field is positive.

In summary, the work done by the electric field is positive because it is providing the force that moves the electron from the negative plate to the positive plate, increasing its potential energy. I hope this explanation helps clarify any confusion.

1. What is work done by the electric field?

The work done by the electric field is the amount of energy transferred to an object when it is moved by the electric field. It is measured in joules (J) and is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the field.

2. How is work done by the electric field related to moving an electron from a negative plate to a positive plate?

In order to move an electron from a negative plate to a positive plate, work must be done by the electric field. This work is equal to the change in potential energy of the electron as it moves from the negative plate (where it has a higher potential energy) to the positive plate (where it has a lower potential energy).

3. What factors affect the amount of work done by the electric field to move an electron?

The amount of work done by the electric field to move an electron is affected by the magnitude of the electric field, the distance the electron is moved, and the charge of the electron. The work done will also be different depending on whether the electron is moving in the direction of or against the electric field.

4. How is the direction of the electric field related to the direction of the work done to move an electron?

The direction of the work done by the electric field is always in the same direction as the electric field itself. If the electric field is pointing in the same direction as the movement of the electron, then the work done will be positive. If the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction, the work done will be negative.

5. Is the work done by the electric field to move an electron always the same?

No, the work done by the electric field to move an electron can vary depending on the specific circumstances. The amount of work done will depend on the strength of the electric field, the distance the electron is moved, and the charge of the electron. It will also depend on the specific path the electron takes between the plates and whether it is moving in the direction of or against the electric field.