1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by electric field

1. Jan 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    question 8.JPG

Hi everyone, I am having trouble solving this question. I know that the right answer is d.

2. Relevant equations
    No equations here, only conceptual stuff.

3. The attempt at a solution

Say I have the following points: A and B

A. B.

The negative charge is moving to the right, and if the electric field does positive work on it, then the electric force is going to the right, which means that the electric field is pointed leftwards from point B to point A.

This means the negative charge is moving from low to high potentials.

I thus would think that the answer is (C), increases, but the right answer apparently is (D) increases.

Could anyone please help me figure out why this is the case?

Thanks in advance for the help, and make it a great day!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the charge moves from lower to higher potential. But, how do you relate the change in potential energy to the change in potential?

4. Jan 18, 2017 #3
    To be even more explicit than TSny, potential energy and potential are not the same thing. This problem is a test to see if you know the difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted