1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by friction force

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A horizontal spring with spring constant 200 N/m is compressed 20 cm and used to launch a box across a rough horizontal surface. After traveling a distance it stops. What is the work done by friction force?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]W = F \cdot d[/tex]
    [tex]KE_{spring} = \frac{1}{2}k \Delta x^2 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to start, because I'm not sure what other relevant equations I can use. I'm thinking that the friction has to do enough work to make the box stop (v = 0). But I don't know how to relate the work by friction to the energy of the spring.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Initially you have the spring energy. It gets converted into kinetic energy. That gets converted into heat by the work of friction. All your initial energy is equal to the work of friction.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    Ah... so [tex]W_{friction} = KE_{spring} = \frac{1}{2}k \Delta x^2 = \frac{1}{2} \cdot 200 \cdot .2^2[/tex]?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

looks good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook