Work Done By Friction on a Piston, and Change in Enthelpy

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to a system with a cylinder containing an ideal gas and a steam turbine. The first question asks for the configuration work done on the system, the work done by the external force, and the dissipative work done on the system. The second question asks for the change in specific enthalpy of steam flowing through the turbine. The participants are seeking help with finding the answers, and one participant suggests using Bernoulli's equation.
mmmboh
Hi, I have an assignment due tomorrow and have been working for hours and hours on it, and have done all of the questions pretty much, except for these 2 parts of questions, since it is due tomorrow morning if someone can help me out that would be great! Here they are:

1.Consider a system consisting of a cylinder containing 0.2 kilomoles of an ideal gas and fitted with a massless piston of area 0.5m2. The force of friction between the piston and the cylinder is 10 N. The gas is initially at a pressure of 1atm and the system is to be maintained at 300 K. The volume of the system is slowly decreases by 10 percent by an external force.

The question asks to find the configuration work done on the system, which I found, and it also asks to find the work done on the system by the external force and the dissipative work done on the system. I believe the work done on the system is the configuration work plus the dissipative work, but I can't figure out how to find the dissipative work. I know the force of friction, and I know W=FD, but we don't know the distance, but we know the new volume is 10% less, and I know the area...but this doesn't help with finding the distance since I don't know the height of the piston. Also I am not sure if I am suppose to integrate the FD, because I think the force changes with respect to the distance since as you push more more of the piston comes in contact with the cylinder...can someone please help! :)

2. A steam turbine receives a steam flow of 5000 kg/h and its power output is 500 KW. Neglect any heat loss from the turbine. Find the change in specific enthalpy of the steam flowing through the turbine if a) if the entrance and exit are at the same elevation and entry and exit velocities are negligible (I found this answer already) and b) if the entrance velocity is 60m/s and the exit velocity is 360m/s, and the inlet pipe is 3m above the exhaust.

Part b I can't figure out, I know Bernoulli's equation, but when I plug in the given velocities and heights it doesn't give me the right answer for the enthalpy. Can someone help me out please?!

Thank you so much :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help please? Assignment is due tommorow :(

Anyone?

you guys are in my class, could you wear bright colors tomorrow to solve the mystery of who you are?

good luck figuring it out. We guessed that it was the change in volume divided by the area, to calculate the change in displacement.

1. What is work done by friction on a piston?

Work done by friction on a piston refers to the amount of energy that is lost due to the resistance between the piston and the surface it is moving on. This work is typically converted into heat energy, resulting in a decrease in the overall efficiency of the system.

2. How is the work done by friction on a piston calculated?

The work done by friction on a piston can be calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance the piston has moved. This can be represented by the equation W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force of friction, and d is the distance moved by the piston.

3. What is the relationship between work done by friction and change in enthalpy?

The work done by friction on a piston is directly related to the change in enthalpy, which is a measure of the total energy of a system. The more work that is done by friction, the greater the change in enthalpy of the system.

4. How does friction affect the efficiency of a piston?

Friction plays a significant role in reducing the efficiency of a piston. As work is done by friction, energy is lost and therefore, the overall efficiency of the system decreases. This is why minimizing friction is important in order to improve the efficiency of a piston.

5. Can the work done by friction on a piston be completely eliminated?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate the work done by friction on a piston. However, steps can be taken to reduce the amount of friction and therefore, minimize the energy loss. This can include using lubricants, improving surface smoothness, and reducing the load on the piston.