Calculating Work Done by Friction

In summary, a 16.6 kg mass with a kinetic coefficient of friction of 0.181 is being pulled by a constant force of 161 N at 26 degrees above the horizontal. The block is displaced 39.1 meters. The work done by friction is calculated to be approximately -641.12 J when using the formula W = fd and factoring out the vertical component of the pulling force to find the normal and frictional forces. It is also important to use the correct values, such as 9.81 for acceleration due to gravity and 26 degrees instead of 26.6 degrees.
DLH112

Homework Statement

There's a mass (16.6 kg) on a surface with kinetic coeficient of friction 0.181. it's being pulled by a constant force of 161 N at 26 degrees above the horizontal. The block is displaced 39.1 meters. Calculate the work done by friction.

Homework Equations

Friction = (mu)Fn, F=ma
W = fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to do this 2 ways now, both ended up wrong:
First I thought the force doesn't matter since you know mu and the mass and the displacement. so i thought the work done by friction would equal (16.6)(9.8)(0.181)(39.1)
since friction = mu Fn and W = Fd.

My second attempt, which i only tried because the first was wrong, factored out the vertical component of the pulling force when finding the normal and friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, to get the frictional force, you need to know the normal force, and the normal force is going to depend on the other vertical forces that act on the object.

Can you post the work you did for the second method?

sure.
mg = (9.8)(16.6)= -162.68 N
Fy = 161 sin(26.6) = 72.08921314 N
so Fnet down/ -Fn = -90.59078686 N
then W(fric) = (39.1)(0.181)(90.59078686) = -641.1200577 J

I understand that you're trying to indicate direction with the negative, you should make sure that it appears in all parts of the equation.

I can't find anything wrong with your answer, try using 9.81 instead of 9.8, and possibly a positive answer instead of a negative answer. It might have been asking (not clearly) for the magnitude of the work, or was expecting you to use a specific value of g.

I must've been tired and mixed up the 16.6 kg and 26 degrees, so i used 26.6 degrees when calculating instead. i feel dumb xD

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

What is work done by friction?

Work done by friction is the energy that is lost due to the mechanical resistance between two surfaces as they move against each other.

How is work done by friction calculated?

The work done by friction can be calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance over which the friction acts.

What factors affect the amount of work done by friction?

The amount of work done by friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force of friction, and the distance over which the friction acts.

What are some practical applications of understanding work done by friction?

Understanding the work done by friction is important in many engineering and industrial processes, such as designing brakes for vehicles, reducing wear and tear on machinery, and improving the efficiency of machines.