Work done by gravity and KE

In summary: I think I understand now. We know that the work done by friction is the change in kinetic energy (KE) minus the work done by gravity between D and E. We equate the two, and solve for x. But what I don't get is how we have the KE of D if we have the KE of B. I don't see how they're the same. That's what's confusing me.In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a bobsled run with negligible friction between points A and D and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.4 between points D and E. The mass of the bobsled is 220 kg and it starts from rest at
taveuni
I feel like a fool because I can't get this, but I am simply in need of some guidance re: equation usage.

A bobsled run leads down a hill as sketched in the figure above. Between points A and D, friction is negligible. Between points D and E at the end of the run, the coefficient of kinetic friction is µ = 0.4. The mass of the bobsled with drivers is 220 kg and it starts from rest at point A.
(Basically, the bobsled is at the top of hill A, which is 50m tall. It then travels to valley B (y=0) and back up to hill C (y=30m). It then proceeds down to D (y=0) where the friction starts until E.)

I need to find out the following:

-) Find the distance x beyond point D at which the bobsled will come to a halt.

I have already determined the velocity at valley B (31.32m/s) and the work done by gravity between A and C. So, the hint says "The work done by friction is the change in kinetic energy minus the work done by gravity between D and E." But how do I get the KE? I can calculate fk (ukN=863.30) and already have Work of gravity). I just need KE. And I can't figure out how to get it, correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got -105600 for the change in KE between D and E. I got 122.45 as the distance beyond D when sled stops.

isn't work done by gravity between D and E zero? since the force vector is perpendicular to the displacement.

Last edited:
Hello taveuni,

I couldn't find the height for point E in your post.

A(y=50m)->B(y=0m)->C(y=30m)->D(y=0m)->E(y=?)

Between points A and D, friction is negligible.[...]The mass of the bobsled with drivers is 220 kg and it starts from rest at point A.

As there is no friction between A and D, the kinetic energy & velocity of the bobsled at point D will will be the same as at point B that you've already calculated.

As there is no friction between A and D, there is no need to calculate
the work done by gravity between A and C
to solve the problem. Simply start with the bobsled at point D with no potential energy and the kinetic energy/velocity you've calculated for point B.

Find the distance x beyond point D at which the bobsled will come to a halt.

The bobsled comes to a halt. Therefor the change in kinetic energy will be the same as the kinetic energy at point D.

Regards,

nazzard

Im implying E is also y=0 since its the end of the run

soljaragz said:
Im implying E is also y=0 since its the end of the run

Maybe, but I've seen some bob sled competitions on TV where the bob runs end uphill.

:confused: I am phys newbie so don't get mad at me but don't you have to calculate the work done by gravity between A and C?

W[g] = mgd = 220(9.8)(50-30) = 105600

so the potential energy at C as well as kinetic energy at D will be 105600.

misread, sorry

Last edited:
soljaragz said:
so the potential energy at C as well as kinetic energy at D will be 105600.

At point C the bobsled has potential energy and kinetic energy.

On a sidenote: which units do you use?

oh i see. so the potential energy at C (105600 J) plus the kinetic energy at C add up to the beginning potential energy.

well then so is the answer
-110000J = 862.4x J

Last edited:
I am now even more confused than I was. What about friction? If you are saying that KE at B is the same as at D, then it'll be

KE=mv^2/2=(220)(31.32^2)/2 = 107903.66 J.

Okay, that makes sense, I guess. Then we have to consider PE, which somehow you all found to be 105600 J, but I don't know how you go that. I already found Fk=863.28 J.

So what do I do with these numbers? I am so confused.

The sled starts out at point A with a certain mechanical energy (pure potential energy, since it starts from rest). It manages to get to point D without any energy loss, thus its KE at that point equals the original PE at point A. (Measure the PE from the y=0 level.)

So, at point D the sled has a given KE. The sled comes to rest at point E. Are you given the height of point E? If points D and E are at the same height, then all of the KE at point D is used up as "work" against friction by the time it gets to point E. (If D and E are not at the same height, you'll need to consider the change in PE between those points.)

Hello taveuni,

as DocAl pointed out, you still haven't answered if point E is situated at the same level as point D.

If that's the case I'd write it like that:

point A:

[tex]E_{pot}=mgy_A[/tex]
[tex]E_{kin}=0\,J[/tex]

with [tex]y_A=50\,m[/tex]

point D:

[tex]E_{pot}=0\,J[/tex]
[tex]E_{kin}=mgy_A[/tex]

D->E:

[tex]E_{kin}=mgy_A=F\,x[/tex]

with F being:

[tex]F=\mu mg[/tex]

Now you can solve for x.

Again, this would only be the case if [itex]y_D=y_E=0\,m[/itex].

Regards,

nazzard

Last edited:
First off, sorry I forgot - yes, the height of E is the same as D, 0.

So, I did as you said:

KE = mgy = µmgx

where KE is the kinetic energy at D, y is the height at A (50m), µ is the coefficient of kinetic friction (0.4) and x is the distance traveled to stop.

Solving for X:
mgy=µmgx

the m's and g's cancel out
so, y/µ=x

and I get-- 125m.

Right.

Now if only I could reconcile this with my class notes and find some way to understand and remember this.

Thank you so much.

taveuni said:
Now if only I could reconcile this with my class notes and find some way to understand and remember this.
What is the problem with your class notes? Do they disagree with the above treatment or are then confusing, lacking in detail etc?

1. What is work done by gravity?

Work done by gravity is the force exerted by gravity on an object as it moves through a distance. This work is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. How is work done by gravity related to kinetic energy?

Work done by gravity is directly related to kinetic energy. As an object falls due to the force of gravity, the work done by gravity increases the object's kinetic energy. The faster the object falls, the more work is done by gravity and the more kinetic energy it gains.

3. Can work done by gravity be negative?

Yes, work done by gravity can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the force of gravity, such as when an object is thrown upwards. In this case, the work done by gravity is considered to be negative because the force and motion are in opposite directions.

4. How does work done by gravity affect the potential energy of an object?

Work done by gravity can also affect the potential energy of an object. As an object falls, it loses potential energy and gains kinetic energy. The work done by gravity is what transfers the potential energy into kinetic energy. As a result, the potential energy decreases as the kinetic energy increases.

5. Is work done by gravity the same as gravitational potential energy?

No, work done by gravity and gravitational potential energy are not the same. Work done by gravity is the force exerted on an object as it moves through a distance, while gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. However, work done by gravity can change the potential energy of an object by transferring it into kinetic energy.