1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by gravity

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    1. ok dont know if this is the right section but here i go. The being asked is compare the work done by gravity to the change in potential energy? There is a system, but thas not important what is important is that the mass is falling at an acceleration of 2.789 m/s squared.

2. So i found the change in potential by doing mgh final - mga initial. i used the acceleration of 2.789 instead of 9.8 as g though. The when i attempted to find the work done by gravity i dunno if i should use 2.789 or 9.8.

3. Might sound like a jumple but i have no concrete answer to go upon so this is the best i could do. Basically i wanna know which accelerations i should be using since its all jumbled in my head. I am also aware that W done by the conservative force (gravity in this case) is equal to the negative potential chnage. I just need help getting there

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2
    2) your assumptions were incorrect. mgh is always 9.8 unless you are on a different planet. i would assume that for this problem you just have air drag or something simmilar.

4. Nov 12, 2007 #3
    so eventhough the mass is falling at a rate of 2.789 m/s squared i must assume that change in potential energy = mgh final - mgh initial (m being mass, g being 9.8, and h being the final and intial height).

5. Nov 12, 2007 #4
    the acceleration due to gravity is always 9.8 m/s^2, unless you're not on earth. mgh is a fancy way of calculating work by separating force into m and a, which is g, and distance into h, which is the distance parallel to your object, and the one that you should me worrying about.

6. Nov 12, 2007 #5
    i suppose just seems weird that the potential energy is calculated using gravity instead of the falling acceleration.

7. Nov 12, 2007 #6
    potential energy is the potential the object has. the force upon it times the distance it can move.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?