1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Done by Horse

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    1. A 120kg sleigh is pulled by one horse at a constant velocity for a distance of 0.75km on a level snowy surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sleigh and the snow is 0.25. (a) calculate the work done by the horse. (b) calculate the work done by friction.

2. F= W * S

3. I really have no idea where to start. Thats all i really want to know. Any hints please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try: Work = Force x distance where Force is the component of force in the direction of motion. Technically, it is: [itex]W = \vec{F}\cdot\vec{S}[/itex].

Since the sleigh is moving at constant velocity, what does that tell you about the net force on the sleigh?

What are the forces acting on the sleigh? What is the direction of the force exerted by the horse on the sleigh? What is the direction of the force that resists the pull of the horse? What determines the magnitude of this force (of resistance) which the horse is required to provide? Apply the above relation to determine the work.

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    thanks i figured it out :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?