Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by ideal gas

1. Jan 29, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

I was wondering if I am having a definition problem on mechanical work.
    Since dW = -PdV (as I was told in class), is it correct to say the pressure is fixed with W = -PV, since dW = d(PV) = -VdP - PdV = -PdV suggests dP = 0?

Thanks

S.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2014 #2

Philip Wood

Gold Member

No, it is not correct. dW is misleading notation. It suggests that dW is an infinitesimal change in some quantity, W, which the system possesses (a so-called 'function of state'). This is not the case. [For the same reason, dQ is also misleading notation, suggesting, wrongly, that some quantity, Q, is possessed by the system.] Work and heat are both energy IN TRANSIT, rather than residing in the system.

PV is a function of state (because P and V are both functions of state), but it is a mistake to regard dW as a differential of pV (or -PV).

4. Jan 29, 2014 #3
    Hi Philip,

Thank you for the reply. However, I still think P is fixed in general, leading W = PV. Let's look at an integral form of ideal gas law. In essence, we have dT = (PdV+VdP)/R; integrating this would give the ideal gas law. But the actual integrated solution as PV = nRT implies either dV or dP to be zero.
    Another example would be the heat function in a system of fixed volume, where Q = W = E +PV (Landau textbook chapter 2, the W is a little confusing). He took the derivative of W into dP and dV separately.
    Any thoughts? Thanks again.

S.

5. Jan 29, 2014 #4
    The differential work done by the gas on the surroundings is dW=PdV, not dW=-PdV. Even if the pressure isn't constant, the differential work is still PdV. This comes from dW=Fdl, where F is the force and dl is the differential displacement. Since F = PA, dW = PAdl. But Adl = dV. So dW = PdV. See my Blog on my PF personal page.

Chet

6. Jan 30, 2014 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral of dT is not PV unless you start from absolute 0.

[tex]nRΔT = nR\int_A^B dT = \int_A^B (Pdv + VdP) = \int_A^B d(PV) = P(B)V(B)-P(A)V(A) = ΔPV[/tex]

P could be constant in which case nRΔT = PΔV (i.e. ∫VdP = 0). Or V could be constant, in which case nRΔT = VΔP. Or P and V could both change. One cannot determine [itex]\int Pdv[/itex] or [itex]\int VdP[/itex] separately for a given process without knowing how P or V varies during the process. But from the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, we know that d(PV) = nRdT

AM

7. Jan 30, 2014 #6

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Two of the best known ideal cases (but good approximations to real changes) are isothermal and adiabatic expansions. P varies in both of these.

When P is constant, then W = P ΔV, not PV.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook