1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by impulsive force

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A force exerts an impulse J on a particle changing its speed from u to 2u. The applied force and the initial velocity are oppositely directed along the same line. The work done by the force is--
    Ans: Ju/2

2. Relevant equations
    Impulse= force*time
    impulse=change in momentum

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since applied force and initial velocity are oppositely directed, J=m(2u-(-u))=3mu.
    Work=Force*displacement=Impulse*displacement/time=Impulse*velocity
    But velocity is not constant. I don't know what to do from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hint: You can express the kinetic energy in terms of momentum: ##K = \frac{p^2}{2m}##.

4. Oct 24, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There's a bit of a catch here. Consider two phases. In the first phase, velocity changes from u in one direction to u in the opposite direction. How much work has been done so far?

5. Oct 24, 2014 #4
    Zero!oo) because change in kinetic energy is zero. Then change in ke when the velocity becomes 2u will be 1/2m(4u^2)-1/2mu^2=3/2mu^2. Impulse is 3mu so work is Ju/2!! Yay! Thanks for helping haruspex and vela. But now that I think about it, there is no need to consider two phases of the motion. All I can do is subtract initial ke from final ke and express it in the form of impulse and u.

6. Oct 25, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but I thought you might fall into the trap of applying vela's equation to the change in momentum, giving K = ##\frac{J^2}{2m} = \frac J{6u}##. The point being that the difference of the squares is not the same as the square of the difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted