Calculating Work Done by Impulsive Force

In summary, the applied force exerts an impulse J on a particle, changing its speed from u to 2u. The force and initial velocity are in opposite directions along the same line. The work done by the force is Ju/2. To find this, the change in kinetic energy can be expressed in terms of momentum and subtracted from the final kinetic energy. There is no need to consider two phases of motion.
erisedk

Homework Statement

A force exerts an impulse J on a particle changing its speed from u to 2u. The applied force and the initial velocity are oppositely directed along the same line. The work done by the force is--
Ans: Ju/2

Homework Equations

Impulse= force*time
impulse=change in momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

Since applied force and initial velocity are oppositely directed, J=m(2u-(-u))=3mu.
Work=Force*displacement=Impulse*displacement/time=Impulse*velocity
But velocity is not constant. I don't know what to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You can express the kinetic energy in terms of momentum: ##K = \frac{p^2}{2m}##.

There's a bit of a catch here. Consider two phases. In the first phase, velocity changes from u in one direction to u in the opposite direction. How much work has been done so far?

Zero!oo) because change in kinetic energy is zero. Then change in ke when the velocity becomes 2u will be 1/2m(4u^2)-1/2mu^2=3/2mu^2. Impulse is 3mu so work is Ju/2! Yay! Thanks for helping haruspex and vela. But now that I think about it, there is no need to consider two phases of the motion. All I can do is subtract initial ke from final ke and express it in the form of impulse and u.

erisedk said:
now that I think about it, there is no need to consider two phases of the motion. All I can do is subtract initial ke from final ke and express it in the form of impulse and u.
Yes, but I thought you might fall into the trap of applying vela's equation to the change in momentum, giving K = ##\frac{J^2}{2m} = \frac J{6u}##. The point being that the difference of the squares is not the same as the square of the difference.

1. What is work done by impulsive force?

Work done by impulsive force is the measure of energy transferred to an object by a sudden and brief force, resulting in a change in its velocity.

2. How is work done by impulsive force calculated?

The work done by impulsive force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the formula W = F * d.

3. What is the difference between impulsive force and constant force?

The main difference between impulsive force and constant force is the duration of application. Impulsive force acts over a very short period of time, while constant force acts over a longer period of time.

4. Can work be negative when done by an impulsive force?

Yes, work done by an impulsive force can be negative. This occurs when the force is applied in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object, resulting in a decrease in its kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of work done by impulsive force?

Some examples of work done by impulsive force are hitting a baseball with a bat, jumping off a diving board, or kicking a soccer ball. In each of these cases, a sudden and brief force is applied to the object, resulting in a change in its velocity.