1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by pump

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This was a thermodynamics question;
    A fluid is being moved by a pump though a 1inch diameter tube. The density is 100 lb/ft3 with a flow of 12 lb/s. The pressure rises 40lbf/in. Assume there is no heat transfer. Find hp of the pump to the nearest 1/4hp.

2. Relevant equations

I assumed that the first law of thermodynamics was needed:
    0=Qcv-wcv+m[(h1-h2)+(V12-V22)+g(z1-z2)]

3. The attempt at a solution

I assumed Q=0 but was rather confused on how to even start this equation. I believe you would need to use density relations to find the specific volume and enthalpy in order to apply the 1st law of thermodynamics? Would this be better suited to be solved in terms of fluid dynamics?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2014 #2
    It is said that, flow is 12 lb/s
    So you can calculate the speed after the pump (you have diameter of the tube too)There is nothing about the speed before the pump, so we can assume it is zero.
    Nothing is said about any diference in height of input/output too.
    So

(z1-z2)=0

and because

2e9c7d6144b4cd931e5adc6efdfd4abe.png

and

ba3399371b47afbbb17d58d2c272ea18.png

you can easy calculate the power
    η has to be 1, because it is said, there is no heat transfer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  4. Jan 22, 2014 #3
    Still pretty stuck, im unsure how to get the change in P into psf from the units had once I incorporate the velocity?

5. Jan 22, 2014 #4
    What is the volumetric flow rate? Neglect the temperature rise. The rate of doing shaft work is equal to the rate of change of enthalpy for the mass going through the pump. Since there is no temperature change, it is just ΔP times the volumetric flow rate.

6. Jan 22, 2014 #5
    So just (5760lb/ft^2)(.12ft^2/s)... how would I get hp from those units?

7. Jan 22, 2014 #6
    1HP is 550 ft-lbs/sec.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted