1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by rocket motors

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Rocket motors make a rocket of mass of 2200kg accelerate at 2.5m/s^2 over a distance of 650m in deep space. What is the work done?

3. The attempt at a solution
    F=m*a 2200kg*2.5m/s^2 = 5500N
    5500*650= 3575000

When I look at the answer page it tells me the force causing acceleration is 11000N. I generally cant see where this figure has come from. The only thing I can see if i double the answer I get it = the answer that is given wd= 7150000.

The only other possible solution I can come to is that, the mass of the rocket decrease as it accelerates, so the original mass of rocket was 4400kg. If I used this figure it would give me the right answer. Is this the right train of thought?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

my guess is the book is wrong, maybe someone changed the problem parameters for a new edition and forgot to change the answer like halving the acceleration or mass of the rocket in the problem and forgetting to halve it in the answer.

work = mass * acceleration * distance traveled

and they don't give you enough info about rocket engine burn rates to factor in a changing rocket mass. also typically in a problem saying the rocket is 2200kg means that's what it is initially.

4. May 17, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply, I am starting to think this to due to other question in the book are not matching with the formulae e.g k.e of a cheetah of 48Kg running at 30m/s = 43200 which clearly is not right according to the formulae.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook