1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by rod when heated

1. Aug 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a metal rod of length "L",cross sectional area "A",young modulus "Y" and coefficient of linear expansion "α " is heated to "t" degree celsius .The work that can be performed by the rod when heated is
    2. Relevant equations
    work done by rod when heated=1/2 force exerted by rod(when heated) multiplied by extension
    I know force exerted by rod(when heated)=Y α ∆t multiplied by A
    (here ∆t is increase in temperature by due to heating)and extension would be final length -initial length let L' be final length.So extension would be L' - L
    As L'=L(1 +α ∆t )
    So L' - L=Lα ∆t

3. The attempt at a solution
    with the help of equations above we can see
    work done by rod when heated=1/2 Y α ∆t A multiplied by Lα ∆t
    =1/2 YAL(α ∆t )^2
    right?but in my book answer is given 1/2 YAL(αt)^2
    which one is right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks like the reference for the exercise writer is zero degrees celsius. You take a more general approach where the environment temperature can be 0 or 20 or whatever.
    Apart from that I see no difference between your answer and the book answer ..

--

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  4. Aug 30, 2015 #3
    if that's the case then
    but as we can see nothing such is mentioned in the question

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted