1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by spring

1. Oct 9, 2004 #1
    I have a problem I need help with:
    A block lies on a horizontal frictionless surface and is attached to the free end of the spring, with a spring constant of 35 N/m. Initially, the spring is at its relaxed length and the block is stationary at position x = 0. Then an applied force with a constant magnitude of 2.8 N pulls the block in the positive direction of the x axis, stretching the spring until the block stops.
    Assume that the stopping point is reached. What is the position of the block?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's the problem with the problem ? Draw a force diagram. You know how to calculate the force due a stretched spring...do it.

4. Oct 9, 2004 #3
    I've tried the formula F(spring) = -kx and got -.08 but thats not the answer.

It seems to me when the mass stops the applied force will equal the spring force

5. Oct 9, 2004 #4
    next time try posting in the homework help section

6. Oct 9, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And check your sign. Read what the question says about which direction (positive or negative x-direction) the block is pulled.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?