1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by three forces

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The three ropes shown in the bird's-eye view of the figure (Figure 1) are used to drag a crate 3.2 across the floor.How much work is done by each of the three forces? Then the picture is Force one is 600N 20o above the x-axis force two is 410N 30o below the x-axis and force 3 is 650N along the x-axis in the negative direction

2. Relevant equations
    w=Fscos(∂)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I plugged the each of the numbers into the equation and got work from force one to be 600*3.2*cos20=1804J, the work from force two to be 410*3.2*cos30=1136 and work from force three equals 650*3.2*cos180=-2080
    This seems really easy but when I plug it into the website it says it's wrong and gives no feedback I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your work looks good to me. Sometimes they are fussy about the number of significant figures.

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    This site doesn't care about significant figures but it tends to be unclear about what it's looking for I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making any small mistakes

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4
    Just realized I was supposed to answer in kJ instead of J

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook