How Much Work Do Each of the Forces Do on the Crate?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of work done by three forces on a crate being dragged across the floor. The equations used were w=Fscos(∂) and the given values were 600N at 20o, 410N at 30o, and 650N at 180o. After plugging in the numbers, the calculated work for each force was 1804J, 1136J, and -2080J. However, the website did not accept the answer and the participants speculated that it could be due to the number of significant figures or the required units being in kJ instead of J.
DRC12

Homework Statement

The three ropes shown in the bird's-eye view of the figure (Figure 1) are used to drag a crate 3.2 across the floor.How much work is done by each of the three forces? Then the picture is Force one is 600N 20o above the x-axis force two is 410N 30o below the x-axis and force 3 is 650N along the x-axis in the negative direction

Homework Equations

w=Fscos(∂)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I plugged the each of the numbers into the equation and got work from force one to be 600*3.2*cos20=1804J, the work from force two to be 410*3.2*cos30=1136 and work from force three equals 650*3.2*cos180=-2080
This seems really easy but when I plug it into the website it says it's wrong and gives no feedback I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
DRC12 said:
This seems really easy but when I plug it into the website it says it's wrong and gives no feedback I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
Your work looks good to me. Sometimes they are fussy about the number of significant figures.

This site doesn't care about significant figures but it tends to be unclear about what it's looking for I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making any small mistakes

Just realized I was supposed to answer in kJ instead of J

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze the problem and make sure all factors are considered. In this case, the work done by each force should be calculated using the formula W = Fcos(θ)d, where θ is the angle between the force and the displacement of the crate, and d is the distance the crate is dragged.

From the given information, it seems that the angles given for force one and two are not the angles between the forces and the displacement of the crate, but rather the angles with respect to the x-axis. To find the angle between the forces and the displacement, we can use trigonometric identities and the given angles to find the angles between the forces and the displacement.

For force one, the angle between the force and the displacement can be found by using the angle of 20 degrees and the given angle of 30 degrees below the x-axis. This gives us an angle of 50 degrees between the force and the displacement.

Similarly, for force two, the angle between the force and the displacement can be found by using the angle of 30 degrees and the given angle of 20 degrees above the x-axis. This gives us an angle of 50 degrees between the force and the displacement.

Using these new angles, the work done by each force can be calculated as follows:

Work done by force one = 600 * 3.2 * cos(50) = 1922.1 J
Work done by force two = 410 * 3.2 * cos(50) = 1317.6 J
Work done by force three = 650 * 3.2 * cos(180) = -2080 J

Therefore, the total work done by the three forces is 1922.1 + 1317.6 - 2080 = 1160.7 J.

It is important to carefully consider all factors and double check calculations to ensure accuracy in scientific work.

1. What is work done by three forces?

Work done by three forces refers to the combined effort or energy expended by three different forces on an object. It is commonly measured in joules (J) and can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of the forces.

2. How is work done by three forces calculated?

The work done by three forces can be calculated using the formula W = F1 x d1 + F2 x d2 + F3 x d3, where F represents the magnitude of the force and d represents the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. It is important to note that this formula assumes that the forces are acting in the same direction.

3. What happens when the three forces are acting in different directions?

If the three forces are acting in different directions, the work done by each force must be calculated separately and then added together to determine the total work done by the three forces. This is because the direction of the force affects the displacement of the object, and therefore, the amount of work done.

4. Can the work done by three forces be negative?

Yes, the work done by three forces can be negative. This occurs when the forces are acting in opposite directions and the resulting work is in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object. This indicates that the three forces are doing work on the object in order to slow it down or change its direction.

5. How is the work-energy theorem related to work done by three forces?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the case of work done by three forces, the total work done is equal to the sum of the work done by each individual force, which results in a change in the object's kinetic energy. This theorem is a useful tool for analyzing the effects of multiple forces on an object.