1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by us on the spring

1. May 25, 2012 #1
    If you apply a force F and compress a spring of spring constant k by x distance what is the work done by us?
    I know energy stored is 1/2kx2 but is the work done by us the same?
    We are applying a cosntant force F and dispalcement is x so work done by us should be Fx right? And F = kx so work done by us is kx2

Where does the other 1/2kx2 go?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Imagine there was a mass on the end of the spring. If you used the minimum force required to compress the spring, then that force would vary from 0 (at the start) to the maximum value of kX at full compression. The work you'd do would equal 1/2kx2. But if you use a constant force F = kX to compress the spring, then the extra work that you do goes into increasing the kinetic energy of the mass.

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    I agree with DocAl
    When you start to compress(or stretch) the spring you start with zero force and increase to final force,F and F = kx. The work done = average force x extension.
    If the spring behaves linearly the average force = F/2 therefore work done = kx/2 . x
    = 0.5kx^2

5. May 25, 2012 #4
    Okay thank you - but one more doubt
    Suppsoe a mass m attached to a spring with charge q. Suddenly electric field is switched on so it will exert a constant force right? So in this case the other 1/kx^2 goes into kinetic energy and the spring oscillates? Have i got it right?

6. May 26, 2012 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's right. The mass will oscillate about the new equilibrium point (where the net force on the mass is zero).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook