Finding Work and Force in a Thrown Ball Problem

In summary, at height h, the ball has a velocity of 3.1 ms−1 and has done 4.0J of work against air resistance.
Rumplestiltskin

Homework Statement

A 4.0kg ball is thrown vertically up into the air with an initial velocity of 8.5ms−1 . By the time it is height h metres above the starting point, it has a velocity of 3.0ms−1 and has done 4.0J of work against air resistance. Find h.

Homework Equations

Work done = force x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Work/force = distance. I have the work done, I need the force.
Force = 4kg * [ (3 - 8.5) / t ]
How am I supposed to find t without the distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the work-energy theorem.

If you use energy concepts, you will not need to know any forces or the time.

How much mechanical energy does the ball have immediately after it is thrown?

TSny said:
If you use energy concepts, you will not need to know any forces or the time.

How much mechanical energy does the ball have immediately after it is thrown?

KE = 0.5 * 4 * 8.52 = 144.5 J
I can't convert this to GPE without assuming that h is the max height.

Rumplestiltskin said:
Take as the datum of GPE the release point of the ball.

The initial mechanical energy does not get converted entirely to GPE. Note that the ball still has a speed of 3 m/s at the final position. Also, some of the mechanical energy is used to do work against air resistance.

Last edited:
Rumplestiltskin said:

Homework Statement

A 4.0kg ball is thrown vertically up into the air with an initial velocity of 8.5ms−1 . By the time it is height h metres above the starting point, it has a velocity of 3.0ms−1 and has done 4.0J of work against air resistance. Find h.

Homework Equations

You should realize that your equation "Work done = force x distance" is FALSE if the force varies over the interval you are looking at. So, the equation fails if the force ##F## is either a function of time ##t## or position ##x##. In general, you need to do an integral. If the force varies, the work done between times ##t_1## and ##t_2## or positions ##x_1 = x(t_1)## and ##x_2 = x(t_2)## is
[tex] \text{Work done} = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} F(t) x'(t) \, dt \; \Longleftarrow \: F = F(t)[/tex]
or
[tex] \text{Work done} = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} F(x) \, dx \; \Longleftarrow \: F = F(x)[/tex]

Rumplestiltskin said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

4kg is not a force !

Ray Vickson said:
In general, you need to do an integral.
Luckily, the integration of the air resistance force has already been done.

Doc Al said:
Luckily, the integration of the air resistance force has already been done.

Right. But the OP wrote Force × distance, as though he believes that is always true. I was trying to get him to realize that is not the case in general, but of course it is SOMETIMES true.

Likes Doc Al
lychette said:
4kg is not a force !

Didn't say it was.

Ray Vickson said:
Right. But the OP wrote Force × distance, as though he believes that is always true. I was trying to get him to realize that is not the case in general, but of course it is SOMETIMES true.

I'm too novice, too young and too stupid to understand that, but thanks. I'll do the Q in my own time.

Rumplestiltskin said:
You don't need to 'convert' this to anything. It's the KE at the point of release.

What's the total mechanical energy at the point of release? At the height h? What's the change in total energy?

Likes Rumplestiltskin
Doc Al said:
You don't need to 'convert' this to anything. It's the KE at the point of release.

What's the total mechanical energy at the point of release? At the height h? What's the change in total energy?

KE = 0.5 * 4 * 32 = 18 J
18 - 144.5 + 4 = -122.5 J
GPE = -122.5 = 4 * -9.8 * h
h = 3.1m, correct answer. Thanks.

You need to rethink the signs. In the expression GPE = mgh, g is a positive quantity. The GPE should be positive at the height h.

TSny said:
You need to rethink the signs. In the expression GPE = mgh, g is a positive quantity. The GPE should be positive at the height h.

So delta KE isn't negative either, why not?

Rumplestiltskin said:
So delta KE isn't negative either, why not?
ΔKE is certainly negative since it slows down.

Set it up carefully, and the signs will work out:

Initial Energy = ?
Final Energy = ?
Δ Energy = Final Energy - Initial Energy = ?

Doc Al said:
Set it up carefully, and the signs will work out:

Initial Energy = ?
Final Energy = ?
Δ Energy = Final Energy - Initial Energy = ?

144.5 J
18 J
18 - 144.5 = -126.5 J
GPE = -126.5 = 4 * 9.8 * h
h must be negative?

You are still writing the GPE at height h as a negative number. As an object gains height, it gains GPE. Since you are taking GPE = 0 at the starting point, then GPE must be positive at height h.

The total mechanical energy at any point is E = KE + GPE. If there were no air resistance, the total mechanical energy, E, would not change. However, work had to be done against the air resistance and this uses up some of the mechanical energy (by converting some of the mechanical energy to heat energy, etc.).

You know the value of E at the start. What is the value of E at height h? (Answer this based on the value of E at the start and the amount of work done against air resistance.)

Likes Rumplestiltskin
Rumplestiltskin said:
144.5 J
That's the initial KE. Since we can measure GPE from that starting point, the initial GPE = 0. So yes, that's the initial energy.

Rumplestiltskin said:
18 J
That's the final KE, but what about GPE? (Symbolically, what's the GPE at height h?)

Please read over TSny's posts; he's got you covered. :smile:

Likes Rumplestiltskin
TSny said:
You are still writing the GPE at height h as a negative number. As an object gains height, it gains GPE. Since you are taking GPE = 0 at the starting point, then GPE must be positive at height h.

The total mechanical energy at any point is E = KE + GPE. If there were no air resistance, the total mechanical energy, E, would not change. However, work had to be done against the air resistance and this uses up some of the mechanical energy (by converting some of the mechanical energy to heat energy, etc.).

You know the value of E at the start. What is the value of E at height h? (Answer this based on the value of E at the start and the amount of work done against air resistance.)

Ah, so although change in KE is negative, when you equate this to GPE your value is positive because GPE is a scalar quantity.

KE at h is 18 J.
GPE at h is 122.5 J.
(18 + 126.5) - 4 = 140.5 J.

It's helpful to know the stuff about the signs, but did I need to find the value of E? Found h without it.

Rumplestiltskin said:
KE at h is 18 J.
OK.

Rumplestiltskin said:
GPE at h is 122.5 J.
Since h is what you are trying to solve for, do not assume a value. Express GPE symbolically.

Eventually you want this equation: Einitial - Work done against air resistance = Efinal

Doc Al said:
Since h is what you are trying to solve for, do not assume a value. Express GPE symbolically.

Eventually you want this equation: Einitial - Work done against air resistance = Efinal

How did I assume a value when KE = GPE?
4 * 9.8 * h = GPE
39.2h. Not sure if that's what you mean.

Rumplestiltskin said:
How did I assume a value
You assumed a value when you wrote:
Rumplestiltskin said:
GPE at h is 122.5 J.
I was looking for GPE = mgh.

Doc Al said:
You assumed a value when you wrote

How? What I've been taught is that KE = GPE. I want to know why this is wrong on a technicality.

Rumplestiltskin said:
How? What I've been taught is that KE = GPE. I want to know why this is wrong on a technicality.
I'm not sure where you are going with this. To solve for "h" you must have an expression with "h" in it at some point. GPE = mgh is that expression.

And I think you meant ΔGPE = -ΔKE, which would be true except when dissipative forces act (like air resistance in this example).

Doc Al said:
I'm not sure where you are going with this. To solve for "h" you must have an expression with "h" in it at some point. GPE = mgh is that expression.

And I think you meant ΔGPE = -ΔKE, which would be true except when dissipative forces act (like air resistance in this example).

You have a problem with me jumping to the calculations instead of stating the equation first. Why is this important?
-ΔKE? So if the object were accelerating upwards and the KE was increasing, the GPE would decrease?
So my value was an assumption because I don't know to what proportion the air resistance acts on either KE or GPE?

Rumplestiltskin said:
You have a problem with me jumping to the calculations instead of stating the equation first. Why is this important?
In order for others to provide help, you have to show how you arrived at any calculations you did. Just stating a number without the reasoning behind it is meaningless.

Rumplestiltskin said:
-ΔKE? So if the object were accelerating upwards and the KE was increasing, the GPE would decrease?
No. ΔGPE = -ΔKE only applies when mechanical energy is conserved: When no dissipative or other non-conservative forces act. But it is irrelevant here. (I was just correcting your general statement, GPE = KE, which is incorrect.)

Rumplestiltskin said:
So my value was an assumption because I don't know to what proportion the air resistance acts on either KE or GPE?
There is no need for any assumptions.

Doc Al said:
In order for others to provide help, you have to show how you arrived at any calculations you did. Just stating a number without the reasoning behind it is meaningless.

I'm confused -- if you look back, you'll find that I equated the GPE to values for m * g * h. I didn't express that algebraically, but other posters had figured.

There is no need for any assumptions.

I'm not being defensive here, but I still don't understand how the value 122.5 J is an assumption. The change in KE was 18 - 4 - 144.5 = -122.5 J. By your own equation, this means that the GPE is 122.5. So I'm wrong about the change in KE. Am I prematurely taking away the work done against air resistance, which should instead be taken away from the mechanical energy? I'd understand it if you said that "the change in KE is just 18 - 144.5 = -126.5J. This would make the GPE 126.5J not considering air resistance. Considering air resistance, it is unknown how much it detracts from either KE or GPE, so the value 122.5 is 'assumed'. "

Using [itex]{1 \over 2} m v^2[/itex], we get the initial energy of the ball to be:
[tex]{1 \over 2} \times 4 \times 8.5^2 = 144.5[/tex]
However, at [itex]h[/itex] the ball still has velocity (8.5 ms-1), as well as having done work against air resistance (the 4 J mentioned in the question). This leaves the remaining energy at:
[tex]144.5 - ({1 \over 2} \times 4 \times 3^2 + 4) = 122.5[/tex]
Assuming that the rest of the energy must be GPE, i.e. [itex]mgh[/itex], we can divide 122.5 by [itex]mg = 4 \times 9.81[/itex], giving us the final value for [itex]h[/itex] as 3.125 m.

Since this is an Isaac Physics question, you'll want to be giving you answer to 2 SF, i.e. 3.1 m.

What is the difference between work and force in a thrown ball problem?

Work is the energy transferred to an object by a force, resulting in a displacement. In a thrown ball problem, work is done when the ball is thrown and moves through the air. Force, on the other hand, is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate. In a thrown ball problem, the force is the initial push or throw that gives the ball its initial velocity.

How do you calculate the work done on a thrown ball?

The work done on a thrown ball can be calculated using the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement. In a thrown ball problem, the displacement is the distance the ball travels through the air.

Why is it important to consider both work and force in a thrown ball problem?

Both work and force play important roles in understanding the motion of a thrown ball. Work helps us understand the energy transfer that occurs when the ball is thrown, while force helps us understand the initial push or throw that gives the ball its velocity. By considering both work and force, we can better understand the overall motion of the ball.

How does air resistance affect the work and force in a thrown ball problem?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the work and force in a thrown ball problem. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences air resistance which can decrease its velocity and ultimately affect the amount of work done on the ball. Additionally, air resistance can also affect the force on the ball, as it may require more force to overcome the resistance and maintain the ball's velocity.

What are some real-world applications of finding work and force in a thrown ball problem?

Understanding work and force in a thrown ball problem has many real-world applications, such as in sports like baseball, tennis, and golf. It also has applications in engineering, such as in designing and optimizing the flight of projectiles. Additionally, understanding work and force can also help in understanding the motion of objects in other scenarios, such as a car accelerating or a rollercoaster moving along a track.