1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done in a electric field

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is not an actual questions, Just misconceptions
    For example,
    Lets find the work done over a distance in an electric field
    2. Relevant equations
    v = PE/q
    E = F/q
    F = k q1 q2 /r^2
    W = fd

3. The attempt at a solution
    I didn't study calculus yet but I am going to because I need to get to know these equations.

I know that I can't use the formula w = f d because obviously the f varies if I don't have a uniform EF
    these equations only take place when the electric field is constant otherwise I need to use calculus to find the equation because the forces varies with distance.

So in V = PE/C
    I can't just substitute PE with F d... so if you are able to put the proof of V = kq/r (If it is related to calculus) that would be great so I can check it when I am done with calculus.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps you already know a bit about derivatives ? If you know that $${d\over dx} {1\over x} = -{1\over x^2}$$you can see that that kind of matches ## V = {kQ\over r} ## and ##E = - k {Q\over r^2 }##.

Indeed $$V(r_2) - V(r_1) = \int_{r_1}^{r_2} F(r)\, dr = -k Q \int_{r_1}^{r_2} {1\over r^2} \, dr = -kQ \left [- {1\over r} \right ]_{r_1}^{r_2} = k{Q \over r_2} - k{Q\over r_1}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted