Work done in a reversible adiabatic change

In summary, work done in a reversible adiabatic change is the transfer of energy in the form of work without any heat transfer, allowing the system to return to its initial state without loss of energy. It can be calculated using the equation W = P(Vf - Vi), where W is work, P is pressure, Vf is the final volume, and Vi is the initial volume. Work and temperature have a direct relationship in a reversible adiabatic change, with an increase in work leading to an increase in temperature and vice versa. Work can also be negative if the system does work on its surroundings, resulting in a decrease in temperature and internal energy. Some real-life examples of reversible adiabatic changes include the compression
AndyW
Can anyone help me with this?

--

Show that the work done in a reversible adiabatic change from an initial state (p1, V1) to a final state (p2, V2) is:

W = ( p2V2 - p1V1) / (gamma - 1)

--

Here's what (little) I have done so far:

Reversible => dW = -pdV
Adiabatic => dq = 0
gamma = Cp/Cv

I know pV^gamma = constant, so p1V1^gamma = p2V2^gamma

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you stated, you have P(V) as an adiabatic process.

The only thing you have to do is to substitute P(V) in the integral of work, and solve the integral.

Since dq = 0, dU = -dW, and U = CvT => dU = Cv dT.

dT = -dV/Cv * (pV^gamma)/V = -pV^(gamma - 1) dV/Cv

From the ideal gas law, pV = nRT, so dT = -RT/V dV/Cv

Substituting this into the first equation, we get:

dU = -nRT/V dV = nRT dV/V

Integrating both sides from V1 to V2, we get:

U2 - U1 = nRT * ln(V2/V1)

Since U = CvT and Cv is constant, we can substitute U = CvT into the equation and rearrange to solve for T2:

T2 = T1 * (V1/V2)^(gamma - 1)

Now, we can use the ideal gas law to solve for p2:

p2 = nRT2/V2 = nRT1 * (V1/V2)^(gamma - 1)

And finally, we can substitute p2 into the equation for work done (dW = -pdV) to get:

dW = -nRT1 * (V1/V2)^(gamma - 1) * dV

Integrating both sides from V1 to V2, we get:

W = nRT1 * (V1/V2)^(gamma - 1) * (V2 - V1)

Simplifying, we get:

W = nRT1 * (V1^(gamma - 1) - V2^(gamma - 1))

Substituting back in for gamma = Cp/Cv, we get:

W = (p2V2 - p1V1) / (gamma - 1)

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like me to explain any steps further.

What is work done in a reversible adiabatic change?

Work done in a reversible adiabatic change is the amount of energy that is transferred in the form of work during a process where there is no heat transfer and the system is able to return to its initial state without any energy loss.

How is work calculated in a reversible adiabatic change?

The work done in a reversible adiabatic change can be calculated using the equation W = P(Vf - Vi), where W is work, P is pressure, Vf is the final volume, and Vi is the initial volume.

What is the relationship between work and temperature in a reversible adiabatic change?

In a reversible adiabatic change, there is a direct relationship between work and temperature. As the work done on a system increases, the temperature also increases. Conversely, if work is done by the system, the temperature decreases.

Can work done in a reversible adiabatic change be negative?

Yes, work done in a reversible adiabatic change can be negative if the system does work on its surroundings. This would result in a decrease in temperature and a decrease in the system's internal energy.

What are some real-life examples of reversible adiabatic changes?

Some common examples of reversible adiabatic changes include the compression or expansion of a gas without any heat transfer, such as in a piston or a pump. Other examples include the change in temperature of a gas when it is compressed in a bicycle pump, or the change in temperature of a gas in a refrigerator when it is compressed and expanded.