1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done in lifting a bucket

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A worker lifts a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground up to the top of a 20.0-m tall
    building. The bucket is initially at rest, but is traveling at 4.0 m/s when it reaches the top of the
    building. What is the minimum amount of work that the worker did in lifting the bucket?

A) 160 J B) 3.92 kJ C) 400 J D) 560 J E) 4.08 kJ

2. Relevant equations
    F= ma
    W= Fd

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer is given to me, it is e, 4.08kJ However I am unable to get that answer,. I know that I have to solve W = Fd, and that d = distance traveled = 20m, however I'm confused by the given final velocity of 4.0m/s I don't know how to incorporate this into my process. When I solve for Force, I do F = (20kg)(-9.8m/s^2) however have a feeling, I need to determine a new acceleration from the 4.0m/s velocity given, but I don't know how to do that.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the bucket gets to the top it has kinetic energy.

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3
    Did you ever figure out how to do thins problem?

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Asking whom?

6. Dec 16, 2016 #5
    F= m.a
    W= F.d
    use thıs two fırst to get the value
    K=1/2 M v^2
    and add thıs one
    f=20x(9,8)=196N
    w=196.20=3920N
    k=1/2.20.(4^2)=160N
    we should add thıs two value because final velocity of the partıcle is 4 m/s.
    answer=160+3920N=4080N
    solving by
    FUAT MERT AĞARLI

7. Dec 16, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is not really valid since we are not told that the force is constant.
    Just use net change in PE + KE.

8. Dec 17, 2016 #7
    A man lifts a 20-kg box from the ground up to the top of a 30-m high building. The box is initially at rest, but it
    travels at 4 m/s when it reaches the top of the building. How much work is done by the man in lifting the box?
    A. 5840 J
    B. 160 J
    C. 2400 J
    D. 6000 J
    E. 6160 J

answer is still same, ıt is still working if you solve it my way

9. Dec 17, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, of course it gives the same answer, but if your method makes unwarranted assumptions then it is not a proof.

10. Dec 18, 2016 #9
    wwmertww isn't the OP. He shouldn't be posting solutions by any method!

11. Dec 18, 2016 #10

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The original post is several years old and the only post the OP ever made; he never returned to follow up with the thread. The mentors that have looked at the issue of the complete solution attempt offered up by @wwmertww feel that it won't benefit the OP at this late date, and that the ensuing discussion of the solution offering is probably more valuable in terms of insightful information than the original question :smile: So we've decided to let the post and the followup discussion stand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted