1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done in relation to angle

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Work pushing car up incline.

More of a generalization than anything. Is the work done independent of the angle of the hill seeing as all we're concerned with is the change in h?

I had two problems on the homework. One carrying a backpack up a hill where the angle wasn't given and not necessary and another with pushing a car up a hill where the angle was given and necessary to get the correct solution. Trying to differentiate when I need the angle and not

2. Relevant equations

W=F(d cos <) and W=Fh (when h=cos< x d)

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    Realize that h is dependent on theta . To get the work done out of a problem, one method is through the final height reached. You can also find it through force times the inclined distance moved.

4. Oct 15, 2008 #3
    doh. I knew that. It's late here :) What I meant was that I was given two work problems. Both give mass of object, both give h, one gives angle and the other does not. But from what I see the work is calculable on both of them. However, the angle is necessary to use in the problem where it is given. I'm unable to wrap my head around why that is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?