Work done in relation to angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work being independent of the angle of an incline, as long as there is a change in height. It also mentions two problems on a homework assignment, one involving carrying a backpack up a hill and the other pushing a car up a hill, and the role of angle in calculating work in these scenarios. The Homework Equations relevant to the conversation are W=F(d cos <) and W=Fh (when h=cos< x d). The Attempt at a Solution involves using the final height reached or force times the inclined distance moved to calculate work, and the realization that the angle is necessary in some problems but not in others.
drewdiddy

Homework Statement

Work pushing car up incline.

More of a generalization than anything. Is the work done independent of the angle of the hill seeing as all we're concerned with is the change in h?

I had two problems on the homework. One carrying a backpack up a hill where the angle wasn't given and not necessary and another with pushing a car up a hill where the angle was given and necessary to get the correct solution. Trying to differentiate when I need the angle and not

Homework Equations

W=F(d cos <) and W=Fh (when h=cos< x d)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that h is dependent on theta . To get the work done out of a problem, one method is through the final height reached. You can also find it through force times the inclined distance moved.

doh. I knew that. It's late here :) What I meant was that I was given two work problems. Both give mass of object, both give h, one gives angle and the other does not. But from what I see the work is calculable on both of them. However, the angle is necessary to use in the problem where it is given. I'm unable to wrap my head around why that is.

What is the definition of work done in relation to angle?

Work done in relation to angle refers to the amount of energy expended or transferred when a force is applied at an angle to the direction of motion of an object.

How is work done in relation to angle calculated?

The formula for calculating work done in relation to angle is W = Fdcosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, d is the displacement of the object, and θ is the angle between the force and the displacement vectors.

Does the angle affect the amount of work done?

Yes, the angle between the force and displacement vectors directly affects the amount of work done. The work done will be maximum when the force is applied in the same direction as the displacement (θ = 0°), and minimum when the force is applied perpendicular to the displacement (θ = 90°).

How does the angle affect the efficiency of work done?

The angle can affect the efficiency of work done by changing the direction of the force and resulting in different amounts of work done. For example, if the force is applied at an angle of 45°, the efficiency will be 50% since only half of the force is contributing to the displacement.

Can the angle be negative in work done calculations?

Yes, the angle can be negative in work done calculations. This occurs when the force is applied in the direction opposite to the displacement, resulting in a negative value for work done. This indicates that the force is acting against the motion of the object.