1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done of a spring.

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    I have been scratching my head on this problem and hope that someone might solve my problem.
    The question is about work done by a variable force on a spring. When a spring is stretched x distance from its initial position by an external force.Why the work done by the external force is not equal to F(external) * x?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2011 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Because the force is a variable and varies as a function of x.

Zz.

4. Jul 25, 2011 #3
    suppose, the natural position (where no force is acting on the spring) is at x=0 (stable). It's obvious that it will not stretch unless some external force is applied. Let us say, the action of any external force will lead to instability. Now, the spring exerts a force against the external force to attain stability. So, more the instability, more the force the spring is going to exert...

5. Jul 25, 2011 #4
    What u meant by function of x?

6. Jul 25, 2011 #5
    Is it because as the spring is stretched more, it takes more force to stretch it?

7. Jul 25, 2011 #6
    as the spring is stretched more, more force is exerted by the spring on the body applying the external force.

if you apply a continuous and unchanging force F on an object attached spring whose other end is fixed to a wall, the object will first accelerate, till the acceleration becomes 0 (due to the backward force exerted by the spring). When the acceleration becomes 0, the object is not at rest but at a certain velocity. Now, it will start decelerating till the object come to rest.

Attached Files:

8. Jul 25, 2011 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

9. Jul 25, 2011 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you familiar with Hooke's law? I'm a bit puzzled that you are asked to solve a problem using springs, but this appears to be a surprise to you.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook