1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done on a block

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    Say we have a friction-less inclined plane in the shape of a right triangle, sloping downward to the right. The angle above the horizontal axis is inconsequential for these specific purposes aside from the fact that we know it is inclined above said axis.

We then have a block sliding down (to the right) the plane. My question is about the work done on the block by the incline plane and gravity.

Is the work done by the inclined place on the block considered to be positive, negative, or zero? I think it is zero as what would be considered the normal force has a direction perpendicular to the movement of the block.

I am also hung up on the same question regarding the work done by gravity. It would make sense to think the work by gravity would be positive as that is what moves the block down the inclined plane without outside forces having acted upon it. I just wanted to verify these if anyone could possibly clear things up a bit.

Thanks in advance.

12540n8.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2
    If you lift an object, you are giving it gravitational potential energy.

So, to put it at the top of that incline, it will have gained potential energy.

When it is released, it is losing potential energy, but gaining gravitational kinetic energy.

KE = PE

==================

When it's frictionless, it's best to think of these problems with the equations

KE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}[/itex]

PE = mgh

4. Feb 27, 2013 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello TheNotoriousWM. Welcome to PF !

You are correct on both accounts.

5. Feb 27, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the help all, never hurts to check.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted