Calculating Work on a Falling Raindrop

In summary, the problem asks how much work gravity does on a 1.9-mg raindrop falling 2500 m from a cloud. Using the equations for work and force, the answer is calculated to be 0.04655 J. However, the correctness of this answer may depend on the approximation of g as 10 m/s^2. It is recommended to consult with the instructor for the correct answer.
stormypanda
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
How much work does gravity do on a 1.9-mg raindrop as the drop falls to the ground from a cloud 2500 m above the ground?

Homework Equations

W = FΔx
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this problem would be pretty straightforward since I'd just use the equation for work directly. Δx is given as 2500 m. The mass of the raindrop is 1.9 mg which I converted to 1.9*10^-6 kg. Lastly, the acceleration is due to gravity so it is 9.8 m/s^2.

W = (1.9*10^-6 kg) * (9.8 m/s^2) * (2500 m)
= 0.04655 J

I got 0.04655 J and the site I'm doing these problems on states that my answer is incorrect. I'm not sure where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer and there is no room for round off errors here. Do you know what the correct answer is?

kuruman said:
I agree with your answer and there is no room for round off errors here. Do you know what the correct answer is?

Unfortunately I do not. I have 1 attempt left to answer the question correctly and afterwards they'll tell me the correct answer.

Somewhere there may be an instruction that g be approximated by 10ms2, perhaps?

Your instructor is the final arbiter and can override any scoring made by an algorithm. Take your answer to your instructor and ask what is wrong with it before you try your last attempt.

1. What is the definition of work done on a raindrop?

The work done on a raindrop is the amount of energy transferred to the raindrop as it falls through the atmosphere.

2. How is the work done on a raindrop calculated?

The work done on a raindrop is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the distance the raindrop falls.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done on a raindrop?

The amount of work done on a raindrop is affected by the mass of the raindrop, the distance it falls, and the force of gravity.

4. Why is it important to understand the work done on a raindrop?

Understanding the work done on a raindrop can provide insights into the energy transfer and dynamics of the atmosphere, which can help improve weather forecasting and climate research.

5. Can the work done on a raindrop be negative?

No, the work done on a raindrop cannot be negative because the raindrop is always falling in the direction of the force of gravity, resulting in a positive work value.