1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done on a spring

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The amount of WORK to stretch a spring 4 feet beyond its natural length of 2 feet is 10 ft-lbs. Find the work required to stretch the spring from 4 feet to 7 feet.

2. Relevant equations

W=[tex]\int^{b}_{a}Fdx=\int^{b}_{a}kxdx=[kx^{2}/2]^{b}_{a}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

10=[tex][kx^{2}/2]^{4}_{0}[/tex]
    10=k(16)/2-k(0)/2
    10=8k
    k=4/5

W=[tex][kx^{2}/2]^{b}_{a}[/tex]
    W=4/5[tex][x^{2}/2]^{5}_{2}[/tex]
    W=4(25)/10-4(4)/10
    W=42/5

W=8.4 ft*lb

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2
    Could you explain your limits of integration? The spring is either being stretched from 0 to 6 ft or from 2 to 6 ft, I don't see where you got 0 to 4 from.

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    It's being stretched 4 feet beyond its natural length of 2 feet, so the natural length is the 0 and then 4 feet beyond that is 4.

At first I had 2 to 6, but then I realized that that meant stretching it from 2 feet beyond its natural length to 6 feet beyond it because the limits refer to change in distance... so the change in distance is 0 to 4.

5. Mar 19, 2009 #4
    Oh, I see. Sorry, that is a badly worded question (or more likely I read it badly). I thought it meant it's being stretched four feet beyond it's elestic limit! My bad.

Given that is true I think your answer is correct, at least in it's principle (Ihaven't checked the numerics).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook