1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done on box from gravitational force

1. Jul 27, 2005 #1
    When lift up the box to 2m forward. Find out the work done by the gravitational force.

I find it by W = mg (x)
    But my lecturer encourage me to do it in this way: W = 2mgsin(a), and told me that my method is correct in trigonometric but not really correct in physics.

I would like to know whether my method is really not suitable or it is correct actually?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2005 #2
    Work done will remain equal to mgh where h is the height raised.However this expression can be written in other different ways , for example you can write h in terms of the distance transversed upwards and the angle of the inclined plane with the horizontal , which is what you did.Both methods are correct.Actually it depends on the question itself which method to use.In the questions either the height raised will be given or the angle & the length transversed upwards will be given .

4. Jul 27, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Here the box is displaced agains the gravity, hence the work done by the gravitational force should be negative.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?