• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Work done on box from gravitational force

• Thread starter frozen7
  • Start date
When lift up the box to 2m forward. Find out the work done by the gravitational force.

I find it by W = mg (x)
But my lecturer encourage me to do it in this way: W = 2mgsin(a), and told me that my method is correct in trigonometric but not really correct in physics.

I would like to know whether my method is really not suitable or it is correct actually?

Attachments

frozen7 said:
When lift up the box to 2m forward. Find out the work done by the gravitational force.

I find it by W = mg (x)
But my lecturer encourage me to do it in this way: W = 2mgsin(a), and told me that my method is correct in trigonometric but not really correct in physics.

I would like to know whether my method is really not suitable or it is correct actually?
Work done will remain equal to mgh where h is the height raised.However this expression can be written in other different ways , for example you can write h in terms of the distance transversed upwards and the angle of the inclined plane with the horizontal , which is what you did.Both methods are correct.Actually it depends on the question itself which method to use.In the questions either the height raised will be given or the angle & the length transversed upwards will be given .

BJ

mukundpa

Homework Helper
Here the box is displaced agains the gravity, hence the work done by the gravitational force should be negative.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving