1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done on piston by steam

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    vTaJDgy.png

Here is the solution from the textbook:
    KO2zHHR.png

I don't understand how they can assume a linear relationship. In fact I don't even understand the math... Why does the solution take the average pressure? Isn't the relationship between pressure and volume PV^n = constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The pressure increases linearly with the volume because of the spring. If the cross section of the piston is A, and the spring gets shorter by x, the change of the volume is Ax, and the spring force kx balances the increment of pressure.

ehild

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    Can this be represented mathematically? For example can you solve for x and A and have the math work out at the end? I am trying to do this because I am still a bit confused.

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it can be done. Write up the volume in terms of x, change of length of the spring.
    Write the equation of balance between the increment of pressure of the steam and the pressure corresponding to the spring force.

ehild

6. Feb 28, 2013 #5
    My friend and I tried doing what you said but we are still pretty stuck at where to go next.

We did come to agreement on the fact that the spring is linear since you get some relationship P(x)*A = kx + mg.

So you see P(x) is linear.

7. Feb 28, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, P(x) is linear in x. Find the work done by the steam. You need the P(V) function. How is the volume related to x?

ehild

8. Feb 28, 2013 #7
    So we know:

P(x)*A = kx + mg

W = ∫P(x)dV = = ∫P(x)Adx = ∫(kx + mg) dx

However what is k and m? We are not sure how to figure these two unknowns out.

9. Feb 28, 2013 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know the initial and final volumes, so what are the limits of integration with respect to x?

You can get k from the initial and final pressures.

ehild

10. Feb 28, 2013 #9
    So with initial and final pressures I can get two equations (using force balance) with two unknowns (m and k) and solve for both k and m?

11. Feb 28, 2013 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

mg=Pi, the initial pressure. You have three unknowns, A, k and x(final), but A will cancel.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted