What is the Work Done on a Rough Incline?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the frictional force on a block, with the given information that mass is not given. The solution is explained by stating that mass is not important and will be cancelled out in the equation. The person asking for help clarifies the calculation for the work and the response confirms that the frictional force is equal to the work done by friction. The conversation ends with a clarification that the formula applies to an object resting on a horizontal surface with no vertical force applied.
Sarah00

Homework Statement

screenshot_1.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

screenshot_2.png

But it is not in the choices, Any Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the frictional force on the block?

I can't find it, as mass is not given.
But mass is not important in the solution, as it will be canceled from both sides from the equation as shown in my post

Sarah00 said:
I can't find it, as mass is not given.
But mass is not important in the solution, as it will be canceled from both sides from the equation as shown in my post
I know, but what did you take the frictional force to be when you calculated the work? Is it correct?

I did, the change in the mechanical energy is equal to work done by fricton

So you're saying the frictional force is ##\mu_k mg##? The frictional force is ##\mu_k F_{normal}##

Oh yes! That applies on an object resting on horizontal surface with no vertical component of any force is applied. Thanks!

What is the definition of work done on rough incline?

Work done on rough incline is a measure of the energy required to move an object up or down a slope with frictional forces present. It takes into account the force exerted on the object, the distance it is moved, and the angle of the incline.

How is work done on rough incline calculated?

Work done on rough incline is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it is moved along the incline, taking into account the angle of the incline and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface. The equation is W = Fd cosθ, where W is work, F is force, d is distance, and θ is the angle of the incline.

What is the difference between work done on rough incline and work done on smooth incline?

The main difference between work done on rough incline and work done on smooth incline is the presence of frictional forces. On a smooth incline, there is no friction and the work done is simply the force applied multiplied by the distance moved. On a rough incline, the work done is slightly less due to the energy lost to friction.

How does the coefficient of friction affect work done on rough incline?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more frictional force present, which in turn means more energy is required to move an object on a rough incline. This results in a higher amount of work done.

Can work done on rough incline be negative?

Yes, work done on rough incline can be negative. This occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force, such as when it is sliding down the incline. In this case, the force and the displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative work value.