Calculating Net Work: Solving for P with Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

In summary, the conversation involves finding the magnitude of force P needed to make the net work done by it and the kinetic frictional force zero while a 95.0-kg crate is being pulled across a horizontal floor at an angle of 34.3° above the horizontal with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.284. The solution involves resolving the forces into x and y components and using the formula Fnet=ma.
Morokana
A 95.0-kg crate is being pulled across a horizontal floor by a force P that makes an angle of 34.3° above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.284. What should be the magnitude of P, so that the net work done by it and the kinetic frictional force is zero?

i could not do this question .. i tried so much ! ... i tried finding out P.E. .. but wut do i do with the coefficient of kinetic friction ??... Work done = force X distance .. but wheres the distance .. please help me in this

Physics news on Phys.org
Man, we should have a compilation of Physics Forums Solved Problems in Physics :P We could even sell it one day.

Alright so basically this is a force resolving problem. You need to resolve all the forces into their respective x and y components, Then do a summation of the forces. The question has stated that there is no acceleration in the x direction (forces are equal, Fnet = ma, Fnet = 0, a = 0). Obviously there is no acceleration in the y direction as well (it's on the floor).

Fnetx = 0
Fnety = 0

The trick is resolving the forces into the x and y components. But it seems like all the angles are given. I say give it a try.

Thanx a lot man .. i got the answer right :) .. you do .. Fnet=95 x 9.8

then u multiply the answer by 0.284

Yup, then Pcos34.3 = Ffrict (in x).
So you didn't really need help after all ;)

What is work done?

Work done is the amount of energy transferred to or from a system by a force acting on it. It is measured in joules (J).

How is work calculated?

Work is calculated as the product of the force applied and the displacement in the direction of the force. The formula is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

What are the different types of work?

The three main types of work are mechanical work, electrical work, and thermal work. Mechanical work involves the movement of an object by a force, electrical work involves the transfer of energy through an electrical system, and thermal work involves the transfer of heat.

What is the unit of work?

The unit of work is the joule (J). It is equivalent to the work done when a force of one newton (N) is applied over a distance of one meter (m).

How does work relate to energy?

Work is directly related to energy, as it is a measure of energy transfer. When work is done, energy is either transferred to or from a system. Work can also be seen as a way of converting one form of energy to another.