1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done to an object

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    To push a 25.0 kg crate up a frictionless incline, angled at 25.0 degrees to the horizontal, a worker exerts a force of 209N parallel to the incline. As the crate slides 1.50m, how much work is done on the crate by the worker's applied force?

I know that W=d x F(cos(angle))

Why doesn't it work when I use (1.50m)(209N)(Cos(25)) = 284 J

Answer is supposed to be 314 J. Is the angle used in the equation supposed to be 0 because the force is parallel to the incline? If the force was parallel to the x axis, would you then use Cos (25)? Just want to make sure I'm understanding this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2
    Because the force is parallel to the incline, the angle of the incline is not relevant to solving the problem. The mass of the crate likewise has nothing to do with solving the problem because you are given the magnitude of the force.

Work in this case = F*d*cos(angle between the force and distance vectors, which is 0 in this case) = 209*1.5 * 1 = 313.5 which rounds to 314.

You always need to be on the lookout for extraneous information in problems like these :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?