Work done to melt ice then vaporize it

In summary, to find the work done in kJ when melting ice and vaporizing water against 1 atm of pressure, you will need to use the ideal gas law and the molar volume of an ideal gas to find the change in volume. Then, convert the change in volume to Joules using the conversion factor 1 L-atm = 101.3 J, and finally, divide by 1000 to get the work done in kJ.
chemman218
1. Homework Statement

When a lab associate melts 10.9 g of ice at 0 °C, then heats the liquid to its boiling point and then vaporizes it against 1.0 atm of pressure, find the work done in kJ.

Homework Equations

work = -Pext(deltaV)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that delta H = 32.836 kJ, but delta h does not equal work. I know that the work, should be the expansion of water from liquid to gas
against 1 atm of pressure then i need to convert that value in L-atm to Joules.

I just am not sure how to go about getting the change in volume since it is not an ideal gas situation. Or is it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[/b]

Hello,

Thank you for your question! The work done in this scenario can be calculated using the formula W = -Pext(deltaV), as you mentioned. However, there are a few additional steps that need to be taken to find the change in volume and convert it to Joules.

First, let's start by finding the change in volume of the water from liquid to gas. To do this, we can use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. Since we are given the pressure and temperature, we can solve for the number of moles (n) using the mass of water and its molar mass.

Next, we can use the molar volume of an ideal gas (22.4 L/mol at STP) to find the volume of the water in its gaseous state. This will give us the change in volume (deltaV) that we need to plug into the formula.

Once we have the change in volume, we can convert it to Joules using the conversion factor 1 L-atm = 101.3 J. This will give us the work done in Joules. To convert to kJ, simply divide by 1000.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. How is work done to melt ice and then vaporize it?

Work is done to melt ice and then vaporize it by adding energy to the ice in the form of heat. This heat causes the ice to melt into liquid form and then continue to vaporize into gas form.

2. What is the purpose of doing work to melt ice and then vaporize it?

The purpose of doing work to melt ice and then vaporize it is to change the physical state of the substance. This can be useful for various purposes such as cooking, industrial processes, and scientific experiments.

3. How much work is required to melt ice and then vaporize it?

The amount of work required to melt ice and then vaporize it depends on factors such as the initial temperature of the ice, the amount of ice being melted, and the amount of energy being added. This can be calculated using the specific heat capacity of water and the latent heat of fusion and vaporization.

4. Does the type of energy used to melt ice and then vaporize it affect the amount of work done?

Yes, the type of energy used can affect the amount of work done to melt ice and then vaporize it. For example, using a more efficient or higher energy source would require less work compared to a less efficient or lower energy source.

5. Can work be done to melt ice and then vaporize it at the same time?

Yes, work can be done to melt ice and then vaporize it at the same time. This can happen when heat is continuously added to the ice, causing it to melt and then vaporize simultaneously. This process is known as sublimation.