1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Done

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the work done by the two forces together in moving an object a distance of d = 9 m as shown in the diagram? The magnitude of each force is 21 N.
    There is a picture that comes with this
    http://capa-new.colorado.edu/teacher/capalibrary/Graphics/Gtype12/prob39.gif

2. Relevant equations
    So i know that W==Fnet*d but i am unsure of how to do it with two angles. i also know that work can be found by W=Fcos(theta)d and i have tried both and neither seem to work.

I also have a second question that is similar
    With brakes fully applied, a 1430 kg car deccelerates from a speed of 83.0 km/hr. What is the work done by the braking force in bringing the car to a stop?

So the way i tried to find this was by doing W=mad and that came up as wrong.

and a second part to that question is
    What is the change in kinetic energy of the car

I know that KEI+PEI=KEF+PEF
    so would i just do 1.2mvsquared to find the KEF?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The forces simply add.
    Calculate each force in the direction of 'd' ( this is equvialent to the length of F in that direction) then add them for the total force.

4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    so for the first question i should do
    (21cos(45)*9)+(21cos(45)*9)?

5. Oct 20, 2008 #4
    oh nm about the second question i figured out what was wrong. i forgot to make it in m/s and kept it in km/hr. my bad

6. Oct 20, 2008 #5
    please can someone help me!

7. Oct 20, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't the change in KE just the initial ke of the car, since it has no ke at the end.

8. Oct 20, 2008 #7
    i figured out that second part already, it was the first part that was giving me trouble. the part about what is the work done by the two forces together. i mean would it be 0J since it is technically a 90deg angle?

9. Oct 21, 2008 #8
    ok so i was told to do W=Fdcos(theta) but what i am not sure of is do i basically multiply by 2 cause there are two angles or do i just do the one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?