1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Done

1. Nov 30, 2004 #1
    Work Done Sorry, Still have some Qs

Work done refers to a force x distance.
    Or a force (continuous) x distance?
    I think it is the second one when I think of the potential energy, right?
    For PE=mgh,
    How to prove it? And when an object falls, it loses potential energy, why?
    Where is the negative sign? :surprised

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2004 #2
    How to determine F=Weight? Isn't that if you apply mg upward, the distance will be 0?
    So we can only think of it is falling with a force mg and the distance travelled but not think of it being elevated for the proof of the equation?

4. Nov 30, 2004 #3
    you know that the work done by a conservative force does not depend on path

this is how to prove it:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      7.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Nov 30, 2004 #4
    Potential energy has no sign since it is not a vector.
    Work= constant force (continuous)x distance.
    If it is added by a continuous force, the object should not stopped no matter there is friction(smaller than applied force). So not continuous force?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  6. Nov 30, 2004 #5
    In [MATH] KE=1/2mv^2 [/MATH]
    Why the proof is using u=0 but not v=0? Isn't after the work is done, v=0?

7. Nov 30, 2004 #6

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Work done by a constant force [itex]\vec{F}[/itex], acting over a displacement [itex]\vec{s}[/itex] is:

[tex]W = \vec{F}.\vec{s}[/tex]

Take a constant gravitational force acting on a mass: [itex]\vec{F} = m\vec{g}[/itex]. The force acts to make the mass fall through a displacement of [itex]\vec{s} = \vec{h}[/itex], where [itex]\vec{h}[/itex] is directed downwards. The work done by gravity on the mass as it falls is:

[tex]W = m\vec{g}.\vec{h} = mgh[/tex],

which is positive since the force and the displacement vectors are in the same direction.

Gravity is a conservative force, and the change in potential energy associated with such a force is the negative of the work done by the force. i.e.

[tex]\Delta U = -W[/tex]

For gravity

[tex]\Delta U = -mgh[/tex],

so the potential energy decreases as the mass falls.

8. Nov 30, 2004 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What are you talking about?

It would help if, when you ask "Why the proof is using u=0 but not v=0? Isn't after the work is done, v=0?", you tell us what u and v are. I assume that v is the speed of some object. In that case, yes, the kinetic energy of an object of mass m is [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]. I have no idea what "u" is. IF work is done to bring the object to a halt, then, yes, v= 0 when it is no longer moving. I don't know why whatever problem you are talking about doesn't take v= 0 because I don't know what problem you are talking about.

"If it is added by a continuous force, the object should not stopped no matter there is friction(smaller than applied force). So not continuous force?"

I assume you are talking about a problem in which there is a friction force, fe, and an "applied force", fa, opposite to the friction. The net force will be fa-fe. Assuming that fa> fe, the not come to a halt. In fact it will keep accelerating. How about posting a specific problem so we can see what you are talking about?

9. Dec 1, 2004 #8
    I think the force in the equation of work done is continuously applied,like weight, right?
    And the object would not stop finally, right?

For the PE, a weight of 100N is lifted up by a man up to a height of 10m.
    Why the force applied by the man continuously is 100N?
    Isn't 100 N causing no effect on the weight as it is compensated by the mg of the weight, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?