Force x Distance: Proving Potential Energy & Exploring Negative Signs

In summary: The man's weight does not cause the 100N force to be continuously applied. Rather, the force is applied for a brief instant as the man lifts the weight up.
primarygun
Work Done Sorry, Still have some Qs

Work done refers to a force x distance.
Or a force (continuous) x distance?
I think it is the second one when I think of the potential energy, right?
For PE=mgh,
How to prove it? And when an object falls, it loses potential energy, why?
Where is the negative sign?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How to determine F=Weight? Isn't that if you apply mg upward, the distance will be 0?
So we can only think of it is falling with a force mg and the distance traveled but not think of it being elevated for the proof of the equation?

you know that the work done by a conservative force does not depend on path

this is how to prove it:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 407
Potential energy has no sign since it is not a vector.
Work= constant force (continuous)x distance.
If it is added by a continuous force, the object should not stopped no matter there is friction(smaller than applied force). So not continuous force?

Last edited:
In \(\displaystyle KE=1/2mv^2 \)
Why the proof is using u=0 but not v=0? Isn't after the work is done, v=0?

Work done by a constant force [itex]\vec{F}[/itex], acting over a displacement [itex]\vec{s}[/itex] is:

[tex]W = \vec{F}.\vec{s}[/tex]

Take a constant gravitational force acting on a mass: [itex]\vec{F} = m\vec{g}[/itex]. The force acts to make the mass fall through a displacement of [itex]\vec{s} = \vec{h}[/itex], where [itex]\vec{h}[/itex] is directed downwards. The work done by gravity on the mass as it falls is:

[tex]W = m\vec{g}.\vec{h} = mgh[/tex],

which is positive since the force and the displacement vectors are in the same direction.

Gravity is a conservative force, and the change in potential energy associated with such a force is the negative of the work done by the force. i.e.

[tex]\Delta U = -W[/tex]

For gravity

[tex]\Delta U = -mgh[/tex],

so the potential energy decreases as the mass falls.

What are you talking about?

It would help if, when you ask "Why the proof is using u=0 but not v=0? Isn't after the work is done, v=0?", you tell us what u and v are. I assume that v is the speed of some object. In that case, yes, the kinetic energy of an object of mass m is [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]. I have no idea what "u" is. IF work is done to bring the object to a halt, then, yes, v= 0 when it is no longer moving. I don't know why whatever problem you are talking about doesn't take v= 0 because I don't know what problem you are talking about.

"If it is added by a continuous force, the object should not stopped no matter there is friction(smaller than applied force). So not continuous force?"

I assume you are talking about a problem in which there is a friction force, fe, and an "applied force", fa, opposite to the friction. The net force will be fa-fe. Assuming that fa> fe, the not come to a halt. In fact it will keep accelerating. How about posting a specific problem so we can see what you are talking about?

I think the force in the equation of work done is continuously applied,like weight, right?
And the object would not stop finally, right?

For the PE, a weight of 100N is lifted up by a man up to a height of 10m.
Why the force applied by the man continuously is 100N?
Isn't 100 N causing no effect on the weight as it is compensated by the mg of the weight, right?

1. What is force x distance?

Force x distance, also known as work, is a measure of the energy transfer that occurs when a force is applied over a certain distance.

2. How is force x distance related to potential energy?

Potential energy is a type of energy that is stored within an object due to its position or state. Force x distance is directly related to potential energy, as it is the measurement of work done to change an object's position or state.

3. How do you prove potential energy using force x distance?

To prove potential energy using force x distance, you can use the formula: Potential energy = force x distance. This formula shows that the amount of potential energy an object has is equal to the force applied to it multiplied by the distance it moves.

4. Why are there negative signs in force x distance calculations?

Negative signs are used in force x distance calculations to indicate the direction of the force and the work being done. A negative sign indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the object's displacement, resulting in work being done against the direction of motion.

5. How can we explore negative signs in force x distance?

One way to explore negative signs in force x distance is by conducting experiments where the direction of the force and the displacement of the object are in opposite directions. This will result in a negative value for work, indicating the presence of a negative sign. Additionally, studying the concept of vector quantities can also help in understanding the role of negative signs in force x distance calculations.