Simplifying the Work Done Equation: x(e^y) + (z+1)(e^z) - (e^z) + k

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving combining equations to determine the work done θ, which should equal 2x(e^y) + (z+1)(e^z) - (e^z) + k. The author explains that simply adding the right-hand sides of the equations is incorrect, as common expressions should not be added. Instead, the author suggests expressing everything in terms of t.
chetzread

Homework Statement

for the work done θ , after combining all three , the work done should be = 2x(e^y) + (z+1)(e^z) - (e^z) + k , am i right ?
why the author stated it is x(e^y) + (z+1)(e^z) - (e^z) + k ?
There's x(e^y) in equation (i) and (ii)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

θ= (x)(e^y) + f(y,z) + (x)(e^y) + g(x,z) + (z+1)(e^z) - (e^z) + h(x,y )
= 2(x)(e^y) + (z+1)(e^z) - (e^z) + k

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 349
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 312
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:
the work done should be = 2x(e^y) + (z+1)(e^z) - (e^z) + k , am i right ?
why the author stated it is x(e^y) + (z+1)(e^z) - (e^z) + k ?
There's x(e^y) in equation (i) and (ii)
No, the author is right. You shouldn't simply add the RHS of the equations. The expressions which are common don't need to be added. In your example, if you had ##2xe^y## ( like you thought), you wouldn't get ## \frac {\partial \phi}{\partial x} = e^y## and ## \frac {\partial \phi}{\partial y}= xe^y##

Likes chetzread
I would never have solved it this way. I would have expressed everything in terms of t.

Chestermiller said:
I would never have solved it this way. I would have expressed everything in terms of t.
Exactly, I too would have done the same.

1. What is the meaning of the work done equation?

The work done equation is a mathematical representation of the amount of work that is done in a system. It takes into account the variables of displacement, force, and energy to calculate the total work done.

2. How do you simplify the work done equation?

To simplify the work done equation, you can factor out the common term e^z and combine the remaining terms. This will result in a simplified equation of e^z(x+y+z+k+1).

3. What is the significance of the e in the work done equation?

The e in the work done equation represents the mathematical constant known as Euler's number. It is approximately equal to 2.718 and is commonly used in equations involving exponential growth and decay.

4. Can the work done equation be used to calculate work done in all types of systems?

The work done equation is a general equation that can be used to calculate work done in various systems, as long as the variables of displacement, force, and energy are known. However, it may need to be modified or combined with other equations for more complex systems.

5. What is the role of the constant k in the work done equation?

The constant k in the work done equation represents any additional factors that may affect the amount of work done in a system, such as friction or external forces. It is often used as a placeholder for these unknown variables.