1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work due to gravity

1. Jun 30, 2005 #1
    A spacecraft of mass 3120 kg is in a circular orbit a distance 1650 km above the surface of Mars. How much work must the spacecraft engines perform to move the spacecraft to a circular orbit that is 4740 km above the surface?

So I have work = change in energy
    so
    work= G(M_s)(M_m)(1/R_2 - 1/R_1)

or work = (6.673*10^-11)(3120)(6.41*10^23)(1/(3.4*10^6 + 4740000) - 1/(3.4*10^6 + 1650000)

Does this look right? Or am I missing something stupid?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2005 #2
    Yep, method looks right to me. Just remember the units!

4. Jun 30, 2005 #3
    For some reason it's still not correct. The only units that I converted were the km -> m. Is there anything else that I needed to convert? OH and my answer should be in joules.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  5. Jun 30, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks to me like you have calculated the change in potential energy and set that equal to the work. The work should equal the change in total energy. Total energy is not too hard to derive for a circular orbit. In fact I posted it within the last few days on another thread. See if you can do it yourself, and if not search my posts to find it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?