1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work energy and momentum

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    Your cat "Ms." (mass 7.00 kg) is trying to make it to the top of a frictionless ramp 2.00 m long and inclined upward at 30.0 degrees above the horizontal. Since the poor cat can't get any traction on the ramp, you push her up the entire length of the ramp by exerting a constant 100 N force parallel to the ramp.

If Ms. takes a running start so that she is moving at 2.40 m/s at the bottom of the ramp, what is her speed when she reaches the top of the incline? Use the work-energy theorem.

So i'm not sure on how to even start this problem. I know that the work-energy theorem tells you that the work done by the hand pushing the cat must equal the change in mechanical energy of the cat. And I'm pretty sure that both KE and gravitational PE will change.
    please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you are correct. However, calculating the total change in gravitational PE, from beginning to end, is something you should find pretty easy (you almost already know what that is). So if you properly add up all known energies, either already in the system, or given to the system (gravitational PE, KE, W, or otherwise), you should be able to figure out the final kinetic energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook