1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work, Energy And Power Problem

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The operation manual of a car, mass 760kg, claims that the car, starting from rest, can reach a speed of 15m.s in first gear in 3 seconds. The acceleration of the car is constant and friction can be ignored. If the car operates under these conditions, calculate:

9.1) The power output in first gear
    9.2) The maximum distance covered in 3 seconds

2. Relevant equations

ek=1/2mv^2
    p=w/t
    delta y=vf+vi/2 *t

3. The attempt at a solution

9.1) ek = 1/2mv^2
    = 1/2*760*15^2
    = 85500 J

p = w/t
    = 85500/3
    = 28500 W

9.2) delta y = vf+vi/2 *t
    = 15/2 *3
    = 22.5m

Could Someone Please Check?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2013 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Distance looks good, calc for power is the average power delivered by the engine over that time and distance, not the instantaneous power delivered at the 3 second mark, which is higher, since instantaneous power varies from zero at the start to a max at the given time. I don't know if the problem is asking for average power or instantaneous power.

4. Feb 12, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since it asks for 'power output', peak power seems the more likely interpretation to me. I.e., what power is it capable of. But I agree the question is poorly worded.

5. Feb 13, 2013 #4
    So whats the difference between instantaneous and average power?

6. Feb 13, 2013 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The average power is the equal to the rate that work is done over a given time period, that is, [itex]P_{avg} = \Delta W/\Delta t [/itex].

The instantaneous power is limiting value of the average power as the time interval Δt approaches zero, that is, [itex]P_{instant} = dW/dt [/itex], which, in this example for constant force, is equal to [itex] Fds/dt[/itex], or [itex]Fv_{instant}[/itex].

The average power is 28.5kW, the instantaneous power at t=0 is 0, and at t=3, the instantaneous power is ___?___?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook