How High Was the 200kg Mass Dropped to Achieve 400J of Kinetic Energy?

In summary, a 200kg mass would need to be dropped from a height of approximately 8 meters in order to achieve 400J of kinetic energy. This calculation is based on the formula for kinetic energy, which includes both mass and velocity. Therefore, the greater the mass of an object, the higher it must be dropped to reach a specific amount of kinetic energy.
bigk2331

Homework Statement

Just before striking the ground, a 200kg mass has 400J of KE. If friction can be ignored, from what heigh was it dropped

Homework Equations

KE = (1/2)mv^2
PEg = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a mass of 200kg and I drew the normal force at the top as well as the force of gravity (mg) at the bottom. My force of gravity = 9.81 and I know the KE = 400J I don't know what equation to use in order to find my height.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of work?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. In simpler terms, work is done when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move in the direction of the force.

2. How is energy related to work?

Energy is the ability to do work. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to that object. Similarly, when an object does work, it uses up its energy.

3. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration. This energy can be released to do work. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its velocity.

4. How is power defined?

Power is defined as the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is measured in watts (W) and is equal to one joule of work per second.

5. What are some examples of energy transformations?

Energy transformations occur when energy changes from one form to another. For example, when a battery-powered flashlight is turned on, chemical energy from the battery is converted to light energy and thermal energy. Another example is a car engine, which transforms chemical energy from gasoline into mechanical energy to make the car move.