WHAT IS THE WORK DONE THAT IS DISSIPATED AS HEAT?

In summary: See my hint in post #2. You know the total work done. And you know how much went to PE and KE. What's left?
jinx007
A constant force of 9 kN parallel to an inclined plane, moves a body of weight 20 kN through a distance of 40m along a plane at a constant speed. The body gains 12 m height..

HOW MUCH WORK IS DISSIPATED AS HEAT?

A/ 120 KJ

B/ 240 KJ

C/ 360 KJ

D/ 600 KJ

So workdone = f x d

but i am a bit confuse as the question say the heat dissipated

so i think that the work done = 20 kN X 12 = 240 KN (heat dissipated) answer

However the work done is 9 KN X 40 = 360 KJ

AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK ? HELP BY THE WAY ACCORDING TO ME THE ANSWER IS B

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the total work done by the force. Where does that energy go? Some goes to heat, but where does the rest go?

Doc Al said:
You know the total work done by the force. Where does that energy go? Some goes to heat, but where does the rest go?

So some converts to kinetic energy and potential enegy..please just tell me whether i am on the right track and if the answer is correct... thanks in advance

jinx007 said:
So some converts to kinetic energy and potential enegy..
Good. In this case, how much energy goes to KE? How much to PE?

No, your answer is not correct. But you'll get there.

Doc Al said:
Good. In this case, how much energy goes to KE? How much to PE?

No, your answer is not correct. But you'll get there.

So p.e is 20 kN x 12
What about the kinetic energy..?? no speed...what should i do...

jinx007 said:
So p.e is 20 kN x 12
Good!
What about the kinetic energy..?? no speed...what should i do..
You are told that the speed is constant. So how much of the total work goes into KE?

Doc Al said:
Good!

You are told that the speed is constant. So how much of the total work goes into KE?

So i think that its the work done of moving the object to the top this is equal to the kinetic energy..! i am right..?

jinx007 said:
So i think that its the work done of moving the object to the top this is equal to the kinetic energy..! i am right..?
No. Since the speed of the object--and thus its kinetic energy--doesn't change, none of the work is transformed into kinetic energy. There is no change in kinetic energy.

Doc Al said:
No. Since the speed of the object--and thus its kinetic energy--doesn't change, none of the work is transformed into kinetic energy. There is no change in kinetic energy.

Awww..but what is the answer..?..

jinx007 said:
Awww..but what is the answer..?..
See my hint in post #2. You know the total work done. And you know how much went to PE and KE. What's left?

1. What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the amount of force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done, or the amount of work done in a certain amount of time.

2. How do you calculate work?

Work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for energy?

The unit of measurement for energy is joules (J). Other common units include kilojoules (kJ) and calories (cal).

4. How is power related to energy?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used. This means that the more power an object has, the faster it can transfer or use energy.

5. How is the conservation of energy related to work and power?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that the amount of work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy. Power is also related to the conservation of energy, as it measures the rate at which energy is transferred.