Can a ball stay on a track with a given height and friction coefficient?

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum height, h, at which a ball can be released without falling off a track with a friction coefficient of 'u' and an angle of 45 degrees. The work done by the friction force is calculated and equated to the change in mechanical energy. The solution is derived and it is found that the condition v>0 at the top is not sufficient for the ball to stay on the track as the reaction force must also be greater than or equal to 0. The final answer is determined to be h>(2R)/(1-u).
yoni162

Homework Statement

A ball is released from height h. The friction coefficient between the straight part and the ball is 'u'. I need to find the smallest h so that the ball doesn't fall off the track.
The angle alpha=45 degrees.

Homework Equations

Work of non-conservative forces = Change in mechanical energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the work done by the friction force while the ball is going down the straight part.
Wf=-u*mg*cos(alpha)*X

X=the length of the straight part.

We get that:
Wf=-u*mg*h

since cos(alpha)/sin(alpha)=1

Now I want to say that Wf=change in mechanical energy, so:

-u*mg*h=mg(0-h)+0.5*m(v^2-0)

when v=the velocity of the ball when it reaches the end of the straight part. We get:

v^2=g*h(1-u)

Now to the second part, the frictionless rail. Since all the forces are conservative now:

0.5*m*V1^2=0.5*m*V2^2+mg2R

When V1^2=g*h(1-u) -----> (the velocity we found before)
V2=the velocity at the top of the loop

So I want that V2>0, so after some work we get:

h>(2R)/(1-u)

but when I put in a numerical answer I'm told that I'm wrong. Is there a mistake in my solution?

Attachments

• SlopeAndCircle.gif
    SlopeAndCircle.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
The condition v>0 at the top is not sufficient for the ball to stay on the track.
You need to have the reaction force acting on the ball at the top to be >=0.

nasu said:
The condition v>0 at the top is not sufficient for the ball to stay on the track.
You need to have the reaction force acting on the ball at the top to be >=0.

yeah you're right I forgot, thanks..

1. What is work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts in physics. Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, while energy is the ability to do work. In simpler terms, work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, and energy is the ability to cause change.

2. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces, which create resistance and slow down the motion. Friction can be beneficial, such as in the case of walking or driving, but it can also be a hindrance and cause energy loss.

3. How does friction affect work and energy?

Friction is a form of resistance that opposes motion, so it can affect the amount of work and energy involved in a process. For example, when a force is applied to an object to move it, friction will cause resistance and reduce the amount of work done. As a result, less energy will be transferred to the object, and some of it will be lost as heat due to friction.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. This creates a layer that reduces the direct contact between the surfaces, thus reducing friction. Another way to reduce friction is by using smooth and polished surfaces, which have fewer microscopic irregularities and therefore create less resistance.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate friction. Even with the use of lubricants and smooth surfaces, there will still be some amount of friction present. However, it is possible to minimize friction to a great extent, which can be beneficial in certain applications, such as reducing wear and tear on machinery or increasing the efficiency of engines.