Solving a Work/Energy Physics Problem: Troubleshooting and Solution

• Thread starter Jason03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving gravitational energy and frictional work. There is a discussion about the correct formula for gravitational energy and calculating the frictional work term. The conversation also includes finding the velocity and total frictional work. The issue is eventually resolved with the help of the person they are talking to.
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jason03,

The term you have for the gravitational energy is not correct. Do you see why?

(I think you might also want to recalculate the frictional work term.)

For gravitational energy do you mean the mgh on the right side of the equation?...I have mgx which could be a problem but I am not sure.

And for frictional work U 1-2 = -Friction*distance

so I did Kinetic Friction * Normal Force * distance x

Jason03 said:
For gravitational energy do you mean the mgh on the right side of the equation?...I have mgx which could be a problem but I am not sure.

What is the h in that equation, and what does the x you have represent? How can you write h in terms of x?

i just did h = x sin 25 and I came up with x = 2.3 and the book has x = 2.28

so now i have to figure the velocity and total frictional work

got it all figured out...thanks for the help!

1. What is the difference between work and energy in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work. It can exist in various forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and chemical energy.

2. How is work and energy related in physics?

The relationship between work and energy is described by the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when work is done on an object, its kinetic energy will either increase or decrease depending on the direction of the force. Additionally, work can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy.

3. What is the conservation of energy principle in work/energy physics problems?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that in a work/energy problem, the total amount of energy at the beginning of the problem must be equal to the total amount of energy at the end. This principle is fundamental in solving many physics problems involving work and energy.

4. How is the work done by a force calculated in physics?

The work done by a force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented mathematically as W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement. The unit of work is the joule (J) in the International System of Units (SI).

5. What are some examples of work/energy problems in physics?

Some examples of work/energy problems in physics include calculating the work done by a force to lift an object to a certain height, calculating the kinetic energy of a moving object, and calculating the potential energy of an object at a certain height. Other examples include solving for the velocity of an object after being acted upon by a force, finding the work done by friction on an object, and determining the efficiency of a simple machine.