Work-Energy-Power Textbook Problem

• Thread starter suffian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the problem involves determining the number of cars a freight train can have while still being able to move at a constant speed of 27 m/s on level tracks, with power provided by six diesel units. The problem also asks to show the extra force needed for acceleration or traveling up a 1.0% slope. The solution involves using equations for power, force, and acceleration, and taking into account the mass of the diesel units and cars. The difficulty arises in part (c), where an extra 2.9 MW of power is needed, but the solution yields a much higher value. The problem was solved by realizing that the extra power needed is only for the diesel units, not the entire train.
suffian
I am having trouble verifying my answer for a textbook Work-Energy-Power problem. The problem is stated below verbatim from the text. My difficulty appears to arise in part (c), though it might be coming earlier.

Six diesal units in series can provide 13.4 MW of power to the lead car of a freight train. The diesal units have a total mass of 1.10 x 10^6 kg. The average car in the train has a mass of 8.2 x 10^4 kg and requires a horizontal pull of 2.8 kN to move at a constant 27 m/s on level tracks. a) How many cars can be in the train under these conditions? b) However, this would leave no power for accelerating or climbing hills. Show that the extra force needed to accelerate the train is about the same for a 0.10 m/s^2 acceleration or a 1.0% slope (alpha equal to arctan 0.010) c) With the 1.0% slope, show that an extra 2.9 MW of power is needed to maintain the 27 m/s speed of the diesal units. d) With 2.9 MW less power available, how many cars can the diesal units pull up a 1.0% slope at a constant 27 m/s?

a) Okay, so let's denote the power output by the diesal units on the rest of the cars as [tex]P[/tex]. Then this output should equal the forward force applied to the rest of the cars multiplied by their velocity, or [tex]P = Fv[/tex]. Now, the forward force supplied will need to be [tex]n[/tex] times the force it takes to keep one car steady at 27 m/s. So now the equation becomes [tex]P = nfv[/tex]. If we isolate [tex]n[/tex] then we can get a numerical answer:
[tex] n = \frac{P}{fv} = \frac{ \left[ 13.4 \times 10^6 \text{ W} \right] }{ \left[ 2800 \text{ N} \right] \left[ 27 \text{ m/s} \right] } \approx 177 \text{ (cars)} [/tex]

b) Allright, when the train is accelerating then Newton's second law is in effect. The net force acting on the train happens to be the extra force needed to maintain the acceleration, [tex]f = ma[/tex]. The mass of the train is the total mass of the diesal units plus the mass of all the car. Thus we have:
[tex] f = (m_d + n\, m_c)a = ( \left[1.10 \times 10^6 \text{ kg} \right] + [177][ 8.2 \times 10^4 \text{ kg} ] ) \left[ 0.10 \text{ m/s2} \right] [/tex]
[tex] f = 1.56 \text{ MN} [/tex]

When the train is going up a slope of angle [tex]\alpha[/tex], then it's own weight is pulling it down the incline by a force equal to [tex]mg \sin \alpha [/tex]. If the train is to be in equilibrium, then it must negate this force by applying an additional force equal to this in the opposite direction (up the incline). Thus we have:
[tex]f = mg \sin \alpha = (m_d + n\, m_c)g \sin \alpha [/tex]
[tex] f = ( \left[1.10 \times 10^6 \text{ kg} \right] + [177][ 8.2 \times 10^4 \text{ kg} ] ) [9.80 \text{ m/s2}] \sin\tan^{-1}(0.010)) [/tex]
[tex] f = 1.53 \text{ MN} [/tex]

Close enough to each other.

c) Finally, here is where the problem arises. The book says that the extra power needed when traveling uphill at 1.0% slope is 2.9 MW, but I'm not getting that answer.

I figure that the extra power needed is the additional force that needs to be applied to the train to maintain equilibrium going uphill multiplied by the velocity. The additional force needed was found in part (b) and the velocity is 27 m/s. However, this would yield an extra power of 40 MW, a far cry from 2.9 MW. Can someone see what's going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
suffian said:
c) Finally, here is where the problem arises. The book says that the extra power needed when traveling uphill at 1.0% slope is 2.9 MW, but I'm not getting that answer.
The question asks for the additional power needed to maintain the speed of diesel units, not the entire train.

gah, i always tell myself to read the problem more carefully when i can't figure it out for a while. i guess i was tripped up again though. anyways, many thanks for seeing that, now it's out of my mind.

1. What is the difference between work, energy, and power?

Work is the measure of the amount of force applied to an object over a distance. Energy is the ability to do work, and power is the rate at which work is done.

2. How can we calculate work, energy, and power?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance moved in the direction of the force. Energy is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance moved and accounting for any potential or kinetic energy. Power is calculated by dividing the work done by the time it takes to do the work.

3. What is the relationship between work, energy, and power?

Work and energy are directly related - the more work done, the more energy is transferred. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred, so it is also related to work. The more power, the faster work can be done.

4. How do we apply the concepts of work, energy, and power in real-life situations?

Work, energy, and power are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics to analyze and design systems. For example, in designing a car, engineers use the concepts of work and energy to determine the power needed to move the car at a certain speed.

5. What are some common challenges when solving work-energy-power textbook problems?

Some common challenges when solving these problems include understanding the different units of measurement, applying the correct equations, and considering all forms of energy (such as potential and kinetic energy). It is also important to pay attention to the direction of forces and motion to ensure accurate calculations.