Work Energy Problem Homework: Find v'B, W & in eV

In summary, a particle with a mass of m = 1.8*10^-5 kg and a charge of q = +3.25*10^-5 C is released from point A with an initial speed of v'A = 3.5 m/sec and accelerates until it reaches point B. The force on the particle is just the electric force and it moves along a straight line without rotation. The potential difference between points A and B is V'A-V'B= 32.5 V. Using the energy method, the translational speed v'B at point B is found to be 11.38 m/sec. The work done by the electric force is equal to the negative change in potential energy, which can be calculated
Mirth

Homework Statement

A particle has a mass of m = 1.8*10^-5 kg and a charge of q = +3.25*10^-5 C. It is released from point A with an initial speed of v'A (v of A) = 3.5 m/sec and accelerates until it reaches point B. The charged particle moves along a straight line and does not rotate. The force on the particle is just the electric force. The potential difference between points A and B is V'A-V'B= 32.5 V.

a) Use ethe energy method to find the translational speed v'B of the particle at point B.
b) Find the work done by the electric force in Joules.
c) Convert the answer in part B into eV.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

So after about an hour of hard work, I'm pretty sure that the answer is v'B = 11.38 m/sec.

I have NO clue what formula I would use to find Work for question b. The closest thing I can find in my book for this chapter is EPE'B - EPE'A = -W'AB. And from other chapter, W = F*d.

If anyone could help me get on track, I'd greatttly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mirth said:
The closest thing I can find in my book for this chapter is EPE'B - EPE'A = -W'AB. And from other chapter, W = F*d.

Yes exactly. The change in potential energy of the particle is equal to the negative of the work done on it between points A and B. So, what is the change in the particle's potential energy? Hint: how is it related to the potential difference between those two points?

1) What is the purpose of this homework problem?

The purpose of this homework problem is to practice applying the concepts of work, energy, and velocity to a specific scenario. This will help students understand and apply these fundamental principles in other problems and real-world situations.

2) What is the difference between v'B and W in this problem?

In this problem, v'B refers to the final velocity of an object, while W refers to the work done on the object. V'B is a measure of the object's speed, while W is a measure of the energy transferred to or from the object.

3) How can I convert the units of W to electron volts (eV)?

To convert W to eV, you can use the conversion factor 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 joules. Simply multiply the given value of W by this conversion factor to get the equivalent value in eV.

4) What is the significance of finding v'B and W in this problem?

Finding v'B and W allows us to understand the behavior of an object when work and energy are involved. V'B tells us how fast the object is moving, while W tells us about the amount of energy transferred. This information can help us make predictions and analyze the motion of the object in the given scenario.

5) What are some real-world applications of work, energy, and velocity?

Work, energy, and velocity are fundamental concepts in physics and have many real-world applications. For example, understanding these concepts can help in designing efficient machines, calculating the movement of objects in various scenarios (e.g., projectile motion), and understanding the energy sources and requirements for different processes and systems.