1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Energy problem

1. Nov 13, 2004 #1
    A skier slides down a slope 10.2m long, inclined at an angle (theta) to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.11. Skier's initial speed is 1.9m/s and final speed at the bottom of the slope is 8.3m/s. Find (theta), air resistance is negligible.

I have applied F=ma and Work(friction) = (delta)Kinetic Energy + (delta) Potential Energy to it and found that these two r mathematically equivallent and terms just cancel when i substitue, can any1 help me with this one?

Thx

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2004 #2
    try finding the height of the hill. you should then be able to solve for theta.

if you can find the Horizontal distance traveled, that would also be acceptable.

4. Nov 14, 2004 #3
    How can i find the height with only one side of the triangle known? Where solving it would involve the angle itself?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?