1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work-Energy Question

1. Oct 30, 2004 #1
    Hi,

I am having diffculty with a physics problem. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Question:
    One end of a long elastic cord is tied to the railing of a high bridge. The other end is tied to a sandbag with a mass of 23.2 kg. The unstretched length of the elastic cord is 5.44 m and its force constant is 382.0 N/m. The sandbag is dropped from the railing. How far does it drop before coming to rest momentarily before being pulled back up by the cord.

My answer, so far:
    Known: k=382.0 N/m; Xinitial = 5.44 m; m of bag = 23.2 kg.
    Unknown: Xfinal = ?; W =?

I know that W = F(Xfinal) and that W = Efinal - Einitial
    Therefore,
    F(Xfinal) = Efinal - Einitial
    F(Xfinal) = 1/2k(Xfinal)^2 - 1/2k(Xinitial)^2
    228 N (Xf) = 1/2(382.0 N/m)(Xf^2) - 1/2(382.0 N/m)(5.44 m)^2
    By rearranging and solving for Xf
    Xf = -4.87 m; +6.09 m

Rejecting -4.87 m, my answer is 6.09 m, however it is not right.
    Does anyone see what I have done wrong??

If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

One thing to point out before discussing the physics: By "How far does it drop" I assume they mean how far below the railing. (Don't forget the unstretched length.)

I find it a bit hard to follow what you've done. (Not enough coffee, perhaps?) In any case, here's how to analyze this. At its lowest point call the gravitational PE = 0, so all you have is spring PE. At the initial point (the railing) all you have is gravitational PE (measured from the lowest point--don't forget the unstretched length). Since energy is conserved, set them equal.

4. Jan 8, 2005 #3

Eus

Hi Ho! ^_^

I found a question like this in Fundamental Physics 6th Edition by Halliday/Resnick/Walker.
    Page 148-149, Sample Problem 8-4.
    Therefore, I can answer your question.
    1. Let's take an isolated system consists of: earth-bridge-sandbag-cord.
    2. Because it's an isolated system without any external force acts on it, there's no work done to this isolated system. (Work is act of transferring energy)
    Thus, Work = (delta)Energy of this system = 0
    (delta)K + (delta)U gravitation + (delta)U elastic = 0
    3. For the first condition, that's before the sandbag is thrown,
    K = 0 (it is at rest)
    Ug = 0 (taking the bridge as the referential point, y = 0)
    Ue = 0 (the rope is at rest)
    4. For the last condition,
    K = 0 (it stops momentarily before being pulled back up by the cord)
    Ug = mg(h+z) where h is the last position before the cord is scretched by the sandbag and z is the last scretched position of the rope (when it momentarily stops).
    Ue = 0.5(k)(z^2)
    5. (delta)K + (delta)U gravitation + (delta)U elastic = 0
    0 + mg(h+z)+0.5(k)(z^2) = 0
    23.2(9.8)(-(5.44+z))+0.5(382.0)(z^2) = 0
    z = 3.208578894
    I use -(5.44+z) because I use the bridge as y = 0. So all position below the bridge will be negative in sign.
    6. Therefore, the answer is 8.648578894 m. That's 8.6 m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?